Floaters during carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TURBOANSARI

Reaction score
Dear maddam or sir,
I just bottled a scotch ale 4 days ago. I tried using these carb tabs which are little pill shaped bottling sugars. I have never used them before, but I guess you just put in 3-5 tablets per bottle and fill with uncarbonated beer that was fermented for 4 weeks. Yesterday I took a bottle out to see how it was doing and noticed there was some stuff floating in the bottle. Sediment should have been at the bottom of the bottle because the bottles had not been shaken up. Is it normal to have top dwelling stuff in your bottles when the carbonation is taking place? Could these be yeasts that will eventually attenuate and fall to the bottom? Could these floaters help a home brewer like me determine that carbonation is still taking place? - Or do you think i just produced a bad batch?

I have never used carb tabs, but, that is pretty normal - it should all settle to the bottom eventually. Just give it some time...I'm sure it's not a bad batch.

Back