Honey in Irish Draught Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cregan13

Reaction score
I am making an Irish Draught Ale with Honey in the recipe. Do I add the honey during the boil? And if so when during the boil? Or during fermentation? I am not looking for a lot of honey flavor in the beer, mabe a hint and, of course, the extra alcohol.

Thank

I would add it at the end of the boil to sanitize it somewhat. Maybe even after flame out. It has been my experience that honey is very fermentable and adds alcohol but not much flavor. If you add it at the end there is a better chance of getting some honey character.

I would add it at the end of the boil to sanitize it somewhat. Maybe even after flame out. It has been my experience that honey is very fermentable and adds alcohol but not much flavor. If you add it at the end there is a better chance of getting some honey character.

We've done this on a few of our beers and it comes out good, not much honey flavor though as you said. In our Honey-weizen we made a priming solution with honey and that brought out a lot of honey flavor.

Latest posts

Back