Green Beer... What does this mean????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volcom579

Reaction score
So i hear alot of people talking about someones beer being green beer. i know this doesnt mean their beer is the color green but somthing else. maybe has to do with age? i dont know, could some please explain this to me

can i age a green beer that has already been chilled and carbonated???? what is the best way to age your beer after it has finished fermentation??? my first batch isnt tasting as flavorful as i expected but the process only took 2 weeks so.......

does it make a difference if my beer is in a keg and i forced carbonated it rather than bottle conditioning???
just FYI since all beers have different processes. i brewed a belgian wit with dry extra light and wheat extract and added some orange peel, corriander and honey for some flavor at the end of the boil.

volcom579 said:
can i age a green beer that has already been chilled and carbonated???? what is the best way to age your beer after it has finished fermentation??? my first batch isnt tasting as flavorful as i expected but the process only took 2 weeks so.......

You can age beer cold or at room temperature. It's mostly a matter of the style you are brewing and what you are trying the achieve.
Because I have limited space and equipment, all of my ales go through pretty much the same procedure: 2-3 weeks in primary at room temperature after fermentation completes, 3-6 weeks in bottles at room temperature, 1 week in bottles in the fridge. Heavier ales would benefit from a longer aging period at room temperature. Hybrids and lagers are a different story altogether, since they need to be kept cool or cold pretty much from beginning to end.

Yeast put out all sorts of chemicals in addition to alcohol and CO2. Conditioning gives the remaining yeast time to "chew" through the junk. For some yeasts, the junk is part of the style.

If the beer is kegged & carbed, just let it sit at room temperature for two weeks.

Ageing helps to clarify too.

I've been visiting some brewpubs in Portland, OR and it seems "green" is the "in" way to serve beer...or they just don't have the time and/or capacity to age.

Being a home brewer I feel that I can make something of a judgement call on such matters.

greenbeer.jpg
Green beer. I'll be hoisting a few of those on St. Pats! :D :D :D

Latest posts

Back