Homemade corn tortillas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't believe I didn't see this before!

I'm really wanting to do this, but good ingredients are so hard to find in Northern Michigan. I will have to check the ethnic foods section of our Meijer store. Might be worth buying a press if I can get good masa around here.

Hopefully you found that masa too..................

What other things can I encourage you to spend time and money on?!?! :D

Oh, you've done plenty over the years!

I think I can find the masa no problem. I'm especially interested because I found out you can get corn flour that is gluten free, so I can make things for my sister so apparently has an intolerance.

I think the plan is to press the tortillas, cook them, then deep fry for chips?

We used to fry the tortillas, bending them over after a short time to form taco shells before boxed shells became available. And you wouldn't believe where I got the idea?! From a book I got in 9th grade called "Black Tiger at Indianapolis". A friend of the main character's wife was the wife of a crew member who was hispanic & showing her how to make tacos. Flash forward to the late 1970's & I remembered it & started making them. I used a small frying pan the right size with an inch & a half or so of hot oil & a pair of tongs.

Oh, you've done plenty over the years!

I think I can find the masa no problem. I'm especially interested because I found out you can get corn flour that is gluten free, so I can make things for my sister so apparently has an intolerance.

I think the plan is to press the tortillas, cook them, then deep fry for chips?

Yes, or you can put a little oil on them, and bake them as well.

That's where I wish I'd have bought that home spray canister thing I saw once. Fill it with your oil of choice & pump it up. It was stainless steel too.

Yes, or you can put a little oil on them, and bake them as well.

That's where I wish I'd have bought that home spray canister thing I saw once. Fill it with your oil of choice & pump it up. It was stainless steel too.

I like that idea better. I think we have a plastic version of that sprayer, but I could test with the canned spray from the store to see how it works if I can't find it.

I hope my wife doesn't get mad about me buying a new gadget. I'm not telling her until it comes in and I make fresh tortilla chips.

I've bought corn tortillas before and fried my own chips on the stove. They turned out great! I'm expecting this to be more versatile and even better tasting.

The sprayer should work ok if it can handle the viscosity of the oil. I liked the one I saw at this kitchen supply that used to be at the mall. I think bed, bath & beyond has'em now.

Back