First try at cider Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STUNTx2

Reaction score
Hello-
I am getting ready to try my first batch of Cider and have a few questions I was hoping someone might be able to answer.

1. If I do a batch smaller than five gallons do I need to use less yeast than what a five gallon recipe calls for?

2. After primary fermantation stops, is the tempurture that the cider conditions at as important? I live in an old house with horable insulation and maintaining consistant tempatures can be a challenge.

3. Do I have to use a secondary?

4. Once the cider is bottled is the tempature its stored at a factor?

5. How long can I wait before bottling with out having to rack it again? I was hoping to wait a few months as a few things I have read say this will only improve my final product.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you might be able to offer.

STUNTx2 said:
Hello-
I am getting ready to try my first batch of Cider and have a few questions I was hoping someone might be able to answer.

1. If I do a batch smaller than five gallons do I need to use less yeast than what a five gallon recipe calls for?

2. After primary fermantation stops, is the tempurture that the cider conditions at as important? I live in an old house with horable insulation and maintaining consistant tempatures can be a challenge.

3. Do I have to use a secondary?

4. Once the cider is bottled is the tempature its stored at a factor?

5. How long can I wait before bottling with out having to rack it again? I was hoping to wait a few months as a few things I have read say this will only improve my final product.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you might be able to offer.

1) No
2) No not in Secondary
3) Generally yes To get it too clear
4) If you are carbing it you want it at Fermentation temp
5) It will Improve the longer it sits, It is like wine

1) You can scale it back, although with how long Cider goes any amount of flavors developed by overpitching yeast will have disappeared. So I say, if you are aquainted with the fermenting process (experienced) then scale back, otherwise pitch the whole thing.

2) In general you want conditioning temps to remain stable. However, work with what you have. As long as you aren't riding up into the 60's, 70's etc then you'll be fine. It can affect long term storage though (although you have to put this into perspective, like are you planning on aging the cider for 5 years? :D)

3) I don't. I just wait until most of the sediment has dropped out and then bottle. More drops out in bottling but I have never had any issues as a result of this.

4) Yes. Same as #2 really.

5) You can wait several months no problem. Bulk conditioning vs. bottle conditioning are always a debatable topic. I bottle condition most things, except for very high gravity brews.

Welcome to the forums :D

Well, here goes!

1. Use the whole package of yeast for any sized batch up to 6 gallons.

2. Temperature is not really that critical- just wrap it with a blanket or something to insulate it to protect it from big temperature swings. Gradual changes dont hurt, but might keep it from clearing as well.

3. Absolutely. You have to rack it to get it off the yeast/dead stuff (the "lees") after fermentation, and rack anytime you have lees 1/4 inch thick or so.

4. Not really- too hot is not good, but it can be stored at room temperature, or in the cellar. Again, it's big swings that you want to watch out for.

5. Bottle whenever you want. You can either bulk age it in the carboy, or age it in the bottle. I like to wait at least 6-8 months so that it's clear and not dropping any more sediment.

Back