Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1426895789.372151.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1426895816.389709.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1426895849.706915.jpg
Going for a small foot print, I built a custom 22qt, full induction brew cart. I took the angle grinder to my wort chiller and installed it permanently in the boil kettle. Along with a whirlpool inlet, I can go from boil to 75 in 14 min. Chugger pump recirculates the MLT during mash and step temps are easily maintained just by hitting the warm button at the desired temp. Then the hoses are transferred to boil kettle for whirlpool. Great little brewery for 3-5 gal test batches or pull double duty and brew 10 gal. Having and induction plate on all three kettles gets it done! 2nd mash is started while first wort is boiling. Tell me what you guys think.

Well, not as pretty as some, but functional :). Maybe my beer will taste better if I buff up my HLT? ;-)

Some really nice ones here... Lots of good ideas! Thanks for sharing, everyone! :)

20150327_083618.jpg

Fermented in kegs in the temp controlled fridge on the right, my beer doesn't see the light of day until it comes out of one of the (kid proof, locked) taps on the chalk paint covered fridge on the left.

20150327_083651.jpg

View attachment 265245View attachment 265246View attachment 265247
Going for a small foot print, I built a custom 22qt, full induction brew cart. I took the angle grinder to my wort chiller and installed it permanently in the boil kettle. Along with a whirlpool inlet, I can go from boil to 75 in 14 min. Chugger pump recirculates the MLT during mash and step temps are easily maintained just by hitting the warm button at the desired temp. Then the hoses are transferred to boil kettle for whirlpool. Great little brewery for 3-5 gal test batches or pull double duty and brew 10 gal. Having and induction plate on all three kettles gets it done! 2nd mash is started while first wort is boiling. Tell me what you guys think.

I want to see more pics !!!!

S

Thanks, it's been a fun project...plus my wife got a space back in the garage!

Give her a space in the garage, and she'll let you do whatever the hell you want with the rest of it :D.

AWESOME space dude. Make me wish our last house, where I had the space and plans to do something similar. Looks like I'll have to go ahead and turn my new shed into a brew shed :tank:.

Fermenters
Mike, Nice looking set up. Question, your walk in cooler, how long have you had it? Did you do a built thread on it? Are you happy with it? And how energy efficient is it? The reason for all the questions is I have all the parts bought to built a coolbot cooler. I have seen a couple of write ups but have not talked to anyone that has ran one for any length of time. Again nice looking set up.

Mike, Nice looking set up. Question, your walk in cooler, how long have you had it? Did you do a built thread on it? Are you happy with it? And how energy efficient is it? The reason for all the questions is I have all the parts bought to built a coolbot cooler. I have seen a couple of write ups but have not talked to anyone that has ran one for any length of time. Again nice looking set up.

Thrilled with the cooler. I have the temp probe sitting in a yeast vile with a little water in it. Ranco controller set to 34 degrees. It sits at 34 all day turning on about once every 45 minutes or so for about 3 minutes.

I did not do a build thread on it but I can post some pictures from the build and explain what I did. My warehouse is small and has radiant floor heating. I keep the warehouse itself at roughly 65-68 degrees. Because of the radiant floor heating, I had to insulate the floor of the walk in. I used 2" of rigid foam board. Then skinned that in plastic covered with 1/2" plywood with a PVC tile floor.

Room itself is 2x4 studs with mold resistant sheet rock. Insulated with R12, covered with 1" of rigid foam that is also mold resistant and has a vapor barrier on one side and aluminum on the side that is exposed into the cold room.

Ceiling is constructed of 2x6 with R24 insulation with the same rigid foam board on the ceiling, with plywood for the roof.

Here are some photos.

20141031_152422.jpg

20141103_143223.jpg

20141220_101305.jpg

20141220_144028.jpg

20141226_115312.jpg

1427560415522.jpg

^^^^^
How do you keep the AC from frosting up?
How are you evacuating the condensation drip from the exterior of the AC?
Man, this build is right what I'm looking for.

It hasn't froze up yet...it's been running for weeks...only set at 34. No condensation drips...the ambient is only 56 degrees right now...will be 65 over the summer. I am sure I will have some tweaks to do this summer.

Yeah, I have a lid for the HLT... Maybe I'm missing something or wasn't clear... Since the boil kettle is directly below the HLT, which sits on an induction hot plate, I didn't want the condensation to build up on the bottom of it, so I use a fan to disperse the heat coming off the boil kettle before it has a chance to accumulate on the HLT hot plate vents located on the bottom of the induction plate.

Pavlov... I think I get the confusion; is your immersion chiller permanently mounted in your BK? From first glance your BK looks like an HLT with a HERMS coil, so the question about a lid was because it looked like you were using a bowl on your HLT.

That said, how big is that bowl (diameter and volume)? It looks huge!

Yep, my boil kettle does in fact have a permanent immersion chiller hard plumbed. All my pots are 22qt and with the stainless steel salad bowl, I made a gasket out of 1/4 silicon tubing and cut a 4" hole to vent and prevent DMS. What the bowl provides is a heat trap yet ventilation. I can fill the BK with a full 5 gal and the 1800w induction plate will bring a ripping boil with the dome attached. Then having the permanent coil installed along with the whirlpool arm, cooling from 212 to 75 only takes 14 minutes! The whirlpool arm was also made from the riser cut off the immersion chiller. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428249001.367744.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428249037.051191.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428249080.297904.jpg

No bag, there is a false bottom. The edge material I found on McMaster Carr, I believe it is common in the auto industry. If you search on MMC for Edge Material you should be able to find it.

No bag, there is a false bottom. The edge material I found on McMaster Carr, I believe it is common in the auto industry. If you search on MMC for Edge Material you should be able to find it.

Bobby at brew hardware has some edging stuff that's food safe.

mostly done - need to finish a few *pain in the ass welds* like under the boil kettle area. But it's just about complete.,

It's for an elecric system, so no burners, but i'll probably mount one in there just to have incase i go out to any brew events or anything.

0410151916_zpsi2aqodk8.jpg

0411152334b_zpsiklraskz.jpg

all setup and brewed on - picked up some paint yesterday as well... but that'll be a few days away.
still need to figure out how i'm mounting the stand. but it's almost done!

0411152334b_zpsiklraskz.jpg

all setup and brewed on - picked up some paint yesterday as well... but that'll be a few days away.
still need to figure out how i'm mounting the stand. but it's almost done!

I don't think I'd put my pump that close to my kettle.

Back