Sweet at 1.012

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinstone

Reaction score
Hi. I was taking a gravity reading on my Vienna lager that has been in primary 10 days at 51 degrees. My original gravity was 1.052. I control the ferm temp through a thermowell and was going to see if a diacetal rest was required. My question is how is this beer really sweet tasting at a 1.012 gravity reading. It's smooth but sweet. I pitched 5 packs of 34/70 for 11.5 gallons. I didn't taste diacetal.....there was no slickness. I pitched at 53-54 degrees and propely oxygenated and rehydrated my yeast. The beer was to 59 degrees in no time and I had a 18 hour lag time. Krausen is just now subsiding but there is still airlock activity....so I know she will go lower, I just can't figure this out. Thanks but how is this beer sweet. My hydrometer is accurate. I verified that. Thanks.

At 1.012, if it tastes sweet it could be underbittered. Of course, carbonation will provide some acidic "bite" to the beer which will make it taste less sweet as well.

If your IBUs are in line with your OG, then it probably isn't underbittered and will get better with carbonation. If the IBUs are low for the OG, it may not improve much but still carbonation will help.

Should be 29 ibu.....I guess I'll see how it tastes at terminal gravity. If not I will blend a little bihemian pils in. I guess right now it just has a sugar taste.....I know it's in all beers but its a little over the top. Not much. A drop to 1.008 will help. I mashed low.

Still chugging along this morning. I raised the temp to 53 to rouse the yeast.

Back