My lager has stopped fermenting way early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casperbrew

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I made a Czech Pils 2 weeks ago was going to rack to secodary this evening but my S.G. is at 1.026 and still sweet. Fermentation has stopped. I used Safelager S-23 and have been at 56 deg fermentation. Not quite sure what is going to be the best route...Pitch more now, rack and pitch then rack again, or just maybe give it a stir. Let me know if you have any ideas thanks.

I suspect you might have underpitched. One packet is not enough for a 5 gal. batch. Properly pitched lagers can easily be done within two weeks. Most of mine are transferred to kegs within 3 weeks

Likely underpitched, and even at a relatively warm temperature that can be a big problem. Rehydrate another package and pitch that. In the future for your lagers try to pitch 1.5 million cells per ml per degree Plato and you won't go far wrong. At least two packages of S-23, and always rehydrated as per Fermentis' product sheet.

I've made a couple of really nice Czech pilsners with this yeast. They both got down to somewhere around 1.010 or 12 if I remember correctly.

Definitely do not aerate your beer in this case. You don't want to oxidize it. Rehydrate the yeast before pitching. A gentle stir to resuspend what is there is a good idea too, but not too vigorously. Lastly, I don't think you'll hurt much by going to room temperature with your beer. You might help it finish and would be normally be doing a temp raise for d-rest in six or eight more points anyway.

Awesome. You have been alot of help. I will pitch more today and let you know how it turns out.

I've only been helpful if it works!

The lesson here, and for all new lager brewers, is that you have to pitch enough yeast. In this case you are not even fermenting very cool. I have two batches going right now at 47. Both might be slightly underpitched, but they will work out.

Just the discussion I was looking for. I have a similar problem but the sg has been static at 1.018 for 2 days. Started at 1.048 a week ago and has been at 15-18 Celcius. Should I wait? Or pitch some more yeast?

Or stick with liquid yeast... Typically I pitch one vial of whitelabs lager yeast (aka NO starter) and gobble up a 5 gallon 1.045 lager batch in 9 or so days. Nowadays I make a 1 liter starter and can reach 1.010 in less than 7 days at 56 degrees every time. I typically skip the D-rest when using liquid lager yeast as they don't seem to throw much diacetyl... Knock on wood - I have yet to eat movie popcorn with normal OG lagers...

Back