Keggle false bottom size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ox1574

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What is the best false bottom size to go into a keggle? It looks like the inside diameter of the keg is about 15.5". I am wondering if an 11.5" diameter FB will work well. Is this the standard size FB that people use in a keggle?

Thanks

I'm mashing in mine, so I went with the 15" model [folding, with handle and dip tube setup] from NorCal (Jaybird on these boards) and couldn't be happier... I think it does depend on what you plan to do with the keggle... Send Jaybird an email/PM, explaining what you want to do with the keggle and see what he recommends...

After I started my setup I just used the one out of my 5 gal gotts cooler that I used to use. I am sure not the best setup and I don't think it would work for fly sparging but so I have been batch sparging and hitting 2 to 4 points over my target OG. Not to shabby I would say.

i'm using a 11.5"-12" FB made from the bottom of a keg. Cut slits into it, works great.

you cut the bottom of a keg to use or one that was cut for a bottom drain keggle?
I have a top I could use and there are threads out there that do the modifications to the top, maybe at some point I will do that too.
I also direct fire my MT with recirculation and havent had any issues with my smaller false bottom, it has been working great.

Back