Milling grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperBrew

Reaction score
I'm making my first brew thats not all extract, but I don't have a mill. I'm worried about how I should break open the grains without a mill. Anybody out there have any tips for me?

Where'd you purchase the grain? If you bought it at your local homebrew store, then you could bring it back to the store and have them grind it for you. Most homebrew shops have a grinder, and they'd be happy to assist you. Other than that, you can do your best to crack the grain (if it's a small amount) with a rolling pin, but that doesn't do the best job, and it's a pain in the butt.

In a pinch you could spread a little at a time into a big ziploc bag and crush it with a rolling pin.

I did that one time with some grains I was steeping. If you've got alot though--find another method. Its tedious.

Sounds good, I only have to mill a pound total but I'll just take the time with a rolling pin.

On a totally unrelated subject, ORRELSE- chile beer? I've heard of it but never had it. Have you made it before? If so how was it?

If only a pound, then do what ORRELSE suggested, which is exactly what I used to do. Put the grains in a ziplock bag and crush with a rolling pin. It works reasonably well.

I use this method because I'm a tool. But my suggestion would be to add a little bit at a time, so you don't overcrush some and not crush others. I add about a cup at a time, roll it, empty the bag and start the next cup, etc...it is tedious.

Have the place you buy it from mill it for you (it's a free service). While I don't think it's that important in an extract based batch it is if you're doing an AG batch. Milling it too coarse or too fine can cause a lot of problems. I say leave it to the professionals.. it isn't worth the hassle. I think the only people who generally mill it themselves are the die hard enthusiasts and those who buy in bulk.

I tried the Ziplock Rolling Pin method on coriander. Man was I pooped afterwards. I found it best to use the handle of the rolling pin like a hammer.

If you need help cracking your grains, you should try to find that dude, Jimmy. From what I heard, Jimmy crack corn, but I don't care.

So anyone know of a good place to get a nice electric, or manual grain mill? I wanna try to keep it in the $50 dollar range. I've come to realize that I need one.

I can't seem to find a used one anywhere. I've checked the paper, craigslist, thrift shops, goodwill, ect. No luck.

I'm not sure about where to get one, but the online vendors have them. Manual is fine, since you can hook your drill up to it, and then it now becomes electric(or battery powered, for that matter)!

Cheesefood said:
I tried the Ziplock Rolling Pin method on coriander. Man was I pooped afterwards. I found it best to use the handle of the rolling pin like a hammer.

If you need help cracking your grains, you should try to find that dude, Jimmy. From what I heard, Jimmy crack corn, but I don't care.

I use a mortel and pestle to crack coriander, and it is still a pain. I wonder how long it would take to crack enough grain for an all-grain batch with a small mortel and pestle... It would take the patience of a monk.

Back