Cider pasteurizing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sampten

Reaction score
I've been brewing on and off for a couple of years now and just tried to make my first cider. My folk's came down last weekend from WNY and I had them pickup 5 gallons of unpasteruized, unproccesed cider from a local Cider Mill.

I heated the cider and some brown sugar in a brew pot at 150F for 15 minutes and then transfered to my glass carboy, and pitched English cider yeast (White Labs) when the temp dropped to 80F.

So my question is about pasteurization.

Do I need to pasteurize the cider before bottling in a few weeks, or heating should my heating the cider to 150F have killed off any bacteria?

If I need to pasteurize the cider, at what stage do i do so? I plan on leaving the cider in the primary carboy for 1-2 weeks, the transfering it to a secondary for an additional 2-4 weeks. After that, I'll create a simple sugar solution to allow it to carbonate in the bottle.

Thanks!
Sampten

if you pasteruize your cider before you bottle it, you will kill all the yeast and it won't carbonate. I won't heat pasteruize mine because you will set the pectins and it will be hazy. Just add some campden at the beginning if you feel the need to pasteruize it. Anything from NY is generally UV pasteruized so I just go with that. Haven't had a problem
By the way ...don't go with a set plan plan on when to move to a secondary or to bottle.....read your hydrometer. Check out some of Revvys post in fermentation /yeast.....very helpful.

Back