Anyone used Briess Organic Malts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoebisch01

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone here has used or tasted anything made with Briess Pale 2 Row Organic vs. the regular Briess Pale 2 Row. My LHBS wants $54 for the Organic and $40 for the regular (50lb) bags. I am going to order a bag, but am debating as to which one I should go with. The only difference between the two (by testing data) is that the Organic is %0.5 higher in protein on average, although I don't know what this means in terms of the final beer (most likely negligeable but who knows).

What'yall think?

I'm pretty sure "Organic" and "Bend over and grab your ankles" are synonyms. I can tell the difference in farm fresh v. store bought, but I can't say the same about things purchased from the organic market v. the regular grocery store except the inflated price.

rdwj said:
I'm pretty sure "Organic" and "Bend over and grab your ankles" are synonyms. I can tell the difference in farm fresh v. store bought, but I can't say the same about things purchased from the organic market v. the regular grocery store except the inflated price.

Yeah that is exactly my fear. I have a roughly 5,000 sq ft. garden and can tell you the diffence in what I eat between what I buy at the store. 'Organic' sadly has become the latest bandwagon, which is quite a shame. The only thing it really gives the end user (for those who are concerned) is the assurance that it is not a genetically modified product. Although I haven't research Barley enough to know what most growers are doing these days.

Organic stuff does not actually mean better tasting.
It just means no chemicals.
The Organic malt may not be as health or any better than the normal stuff.

BUT it does mean they have maybe given more thought to the production.

Your choice.

orfy said:
Organic stuff does not actually mean better tasting.
It just means no chemicals.
The Organic malt may not be as health or any better than the normal stuff.

BUT it does mean they have maybe given more thought to the production.

Your choice.

Just out of curiousity, Orfy, I have read in many parts of Europe that Genetically Modified foods must be labelled as such and was wondering if this holds true in England?

Yes.

It' HIGHLY regulated. It almost like the stuff is radio active.
Not only is GM stuff labelled as GM but none GM stuff states it is none GM just so people are not wondering.
People are scared of growing an extra head and 6 toes.
It's actually not dis similar to cross pollinating that's been happening for hundreds of years and selection that's been happening for 1000's of year.

Any way, this is just me ranting.

The simple answer is yes!

orfy said:
Yes.

It' HIGHLY regulated. It almost like the stuff is radio active.
Not only is GM stuff labelled as GM but none GM stuff states it is none GM just so people are not wondering.
People are scared of growing an extra head and 6 toes.
It's actually not dis similar to cross pollinating that's been happening for hundreds of years and selection that's been happening for 1000's of year.

Any way, this is just me ranting.

The simple answer is yes!

Lol, but I would have to disagree with the similarity of cross pollinating on some accounts. The splicing of certain genes, or the irradition of seed/plants to produce mutations is not at all similar to the natural world, at least as I see it. (so in a way it does have associations with radioactivity lol).

We are on the other side of the coin here, food that is actually labelled costs a premium. I only know of one county in the US (in CA somewhere, can't recall) where GE/GMO food is outlawed. So the long and short of it is we don't know what we are eating, etc.

The USDA (or was it the FDA, can't recall now) did recall a bunch of corn (which had been used in taco bell taco's) because it was 'unfit for human consumption' due to the genes which had been spliced into it. Ironically it was ok for the pigs, which we'll eat lol.

I would prefer we had mandatory labelling here in the states for several reasons. Anyhoo, I am not at all convinced the 'Organic' label really gets me anything. If I could, I'd just grow, malt and use my own grain. *sigh* Sorry for my own rant hehe.

Agreed.

I have an allotment so grow a lot of my own stuff, make my own beer, bake my own bread, grind my own curry paste, make my own meals, buy my meat from the person who shot or reared the animal and pluck my own fowl

'Cause it's cheaper, better, tastier.

I hate supermarkets and the packaging and the corporate domination.

Time for a homebrew:mug:

Edit. (Another home brew)

orfy said:
Agreed.

I have an allotment so grow a lot of my own stuff, make my own beer, bake my own bread, grind my own curry paste, make my own meals, buy my meat from the person who shot or reared the animal and pluck my own fowl

'Cause it's cheaper, better, tastier.

I hate supermarkets and the packaging and the corporate domination.

Time for a homebrew:mug:

Edit. (Another home brew)

w00t! I would, but gotta wait till I get home :D

Golly I love homebrewing!

I use Bries organic malt because that is what the local LBS sells and I support them. Are you going to be able to tell a difference in taste? Probably not. If you want to find out what the term "organic" means you will have to read the USDA requirements to determine the difference in the way the crop is managed throughout its process versus non-organic certified malt. It's a personal decision.

Blender said:
I use Bries organic malt because that is what the local LBS sells and I support them. Are you going to be able to tell a difference in taste? Probably not. If you want to find out what the term "organic" means you will have to read the USDA requirements to determine the difference in the way the crop is managed throughout its process versus non-organic certified malt. It's a personal decision.

Ahh, that's the clincher though. Some companies can look at the regulations and determine how best to stay 'organic' for the sole reason of being permitted to label their product as such. This is the school of thought which is cashing in on the trend. Then there are other companies that take the stand of "This is what we believe in, this is how we grow our crops" and it happens that they 'fit' the rules. Of course there might be a little wiggling to comform to all the rules, but in the end their primary concern is producing what they view as a superior product vs. cashing in on the trend. What that all means, who knows. But, to find out I'd have to ask Briess to let me contact their growers so that I could personally ask them about it. My LHBS can get me both, I agree with supporting the local business as well!

Thanks for the input guys :D

Just an update, I found out that currently there are no GMO barleys grown in the states. I hope it stays that way.

Back