Lambicus not starting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvetter

Reaction score
I made a 1.5 liter starter using WLP653 (Brett Lambicus) about 60 hours ago and I'm not seeing any activity at all. I did the starter like all other 40+ starters I have done before, but this time I'm not seeing any progress.

The starter has been kept at 70-75 and I even added a little yeast nutrient just in case. The vial did seem to have very little sediment, but I figured this was normal. The vial is dated best before 7/8/10, so seems like it should be viable.

I have done both C. and B. strain starters before like this without problems.

Any idea what might be happening? Bad yeast, need more time, more nutrients, more warmth?

Only other thing worth mentioning is that I am using a stir plate.

My 900mL WY Brett L starter took 24 hours until visible indication of fermentation, and 36 hours to high kraeusen. About the same as my WLP Brett C starter.

So it seems like it's taking longer than usual. But I wouldn't freak out just yet...as you said it seems like the cell count in those vials is REALLY low.

Did your Brett L package smell like tart cherry pie like mine?

Yes, that seems like a good description of the smell.

I'll give it some more time, but not much seems to be happening....

Did your Brett L package smell like tart cherry pie like mine?

hmmm my white labs b. lambicus smelled like piss and sweat. swmbo did not like me too much when i askd her to smell it i guess she wasn't expecting sweat & piss lolz:D mayb next time i'll use wyeast instead, i wonder what the differencee in the end product would be?!

So, after 72 hours there was still no activity but when I woke up this morning it was FINALLY noticeably moving. That's a good 84 hours after it started, probably a record for me.

The only thing I did differently than usual was to stop the stir plate for 6-8 hours between the 60-72hr period. I doubt this would have played a part, but who knows.

Anyone have a similar experience? This is certainly the longest any Sach or Brett yeast has ever taken for me.

Back