Ill effects of too-high fermentation temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nigel31

Reaction score
Hey,

My Scotch Ale is bubbling away nicely (brewed Tuesday), but at a temp just above the optimal range for the yeast (and the style). The Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale yeast's optimal range is 55-70F, and mine's in the coolest place in my home at a steady 72F--not much above the range, but if I had my druthers, it'd be at 65-68F. :/

We had a couple of warm days here (NJ) and it got a bit warmer that I'd hoped for.

Anyone know how this can affect the taste if it remains at this temp? This will be (per the NB kit instructions) in the primary for 2-4 weeks and then in a secondary for 2 months (big beer), then bottle conditioned for another couple weeks.

The best I can do would be to get a storage container that fits the carboy and fill it with icy water, changing it twice daily for several weeks. (I'll gladly do it if need be, of course.)

Thanks for the care and knowledge.

Nige

do you have a basement or garage? if you set a glass carboy directly on cool cement it should cool to the range you are looking for. Typically keeping it on the floor would be cooler then on a bench or something like that. Either way, I think you are fine. It might ferment a little fast but should be ok. I wouldn't cool it with ice and water as that would be very inconsistent and temps would flux up and down which would be worse. my .02

I'd cool it off. It won't be for weeks, because once you hit FG you can let it ride.

Back