priming question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NPwino

Reaction score
I have two ~7 gallon batches of local fresh pressed cider (2$ a gallon pressed right into my bucket, mmm mmm). One with 5lbs of dextrose and champagne yeast, the other with 4lbs of brown sugar and white wine yeast. They have been fermenting for about 1 week and all appears to be going well. I want to get a sparkling cloudy cider, so I was not going to use a secondary fermenter and bottle directly after the primary. My plan was to wait until the SG remained constant for 2-3 consecutive days then prime before bottling and capping. About how long can I expect to wait before bottling? I am under the impression it should take 10-14 days. Secondly, how much should I prime? I read somewhere that about an ounce of sugar per gallon should do, but I certainly dont want any bottle grenades. Does this sound like a feasible plan to reach the desired goal? if there are any other suggestions I would love to hear them. Thanks.

Personally I would wait a bit longer to allow more clearing, or you will get half of inch of sediment in the bottles and they will tend to fizz over when opened. 3-4 weeks before bottling will give a better result.

Alright, 3-4 weeks sounds fine in the primary, should I syphon into a bottling bucket, or just syphon directly into bottles to avoid excess oxidation?

Siphon into a bottling bucket so you can mix thoroughly with the priming sugar. The oxidation shouldnt be an issue as long as there isnt alot of splashing. The longer you wait on this stuff the better!

Is there a limit to how long I should wait since I plan on leaving it in the primary only? and are there any other drawbacks from not racking it to a secondary other than cloudiness? Thanks for the help, sometimes these forums are hard to find answers on.

I have had ciders sit in the primary for a few month with no noticable side effects. You can just let it sit in the primary for a few months and then rack to bottling bucket and bottle.

Back