scotch ale recipe kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GalenSevinne

Reaction score
as a noob, i am curious about what some of the veterans on this board think about this kit for a Scotch Ale?

Jerry's Scotch Ale Recipe
5 gallons cool water
3 ounces Chocolate malt, crushed
8 ounces Aromatic malt, crushed
1 pound CaraMunich malt, crushed
8 ounces Smokedı
1 Grain bags
1 tsp Gypsum
5 lb Light dry malt extract
3 lb Amber dry malt extract
¼ ounce Vanguard pellet hops (bittering)
¼ ounces Vanguard pellet hops (flavor)
1 tsp Irish Moss
1 Safale S 33 or WLP028 Scotch Ale
5 ounces Priming sugar (1 cup)
Caps
2 packets Sanitizer

Starting gravity: 1.085
Final gravity: 1.018
Final target alc. by vol.: 8% abv

Looks alright. 8 oz of smoked sounds too high. I'd use slightly more hops maybe.

For the gravity you should probably make a starter if you're using liquid yeast or double your pitch if you're using dry.

A little smoke goes a long way and 8 oz sounds wrong.

However, a little bit of peated malt in a Scotch Ale is nice but I would keep it under 2% of the bill.

this is only my second brew so I feel more comfortable with a kit and specific directions. I want it to be high alcohol and like this at 8%. This is the highest alcohol content kit I have seen and will actually be close to the store that is selling the kit tomorrow. So far on another website they were pretty critical of the ingredients as well.

The only think I know about Scotch Ales is that I like them. Fordham and McKewen's have been two of my favorites. So should I just take out the smoked stuff? Leave the rest as is? I am kind of going paint by numbers here.

Thanks!

I disagree about smoked malt having absolutely no place in a scotch ale, but it should be a very little bit. Historically, peat-smoked malts were used a bit in scotch ales, though it wasn't terribly common even way-back-when. Go easy on it.

Back