SWMBO Slayer/PM Variant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinh85

Reaction score
OK...so I am going in the general direction of a PM recipe for Slayer...only I had to change it up a bit.

3lbs Wheat DME
3lbs Extra Light DME
8oz Crystal (German) 10L
8oz Flaked Wheat
4oz Caravienne
1oz Mt. Hood(aau - 5.2%) hops
Wyeast 1762 Belgian Slap Pack

So 2 questions: the flaked wheat I am under the impression is supposed to be steeped for 60 mins at 145F...and I am going to assume that the 10L and Carvienne Malt are supposed to steep at 160F for 20 mins. So could I just steep the flaked wheat, then raise the temp to 160 and steep my other grains? Or just steep it all together at 145F for 60 mins?

Also, I have only used dry yeast to date. I looked it up in Palmers, and I was told to make a starter which is no problem. I slapped the pack, and it's already swollen 5 hrs later. But, upon referencing the pack, it told me to let swell 3 hours or more then pitch directly to wort. If I let it swell overnight, til tomorrow midday, will it burst on me or be just fine?

One last one...if the slap pack tells me to pitch directly to wort, should I still go thru the process of making a starter and just hold off on cooking the batch til sunday?

There is no point to steeping the wheat, because you'll get nothing useful from steeping it (unless all you want is haze); flaked grains must be mashed with pale malt. I'd omit it.

You can steep any caramel or crystal grains and get full use from them. Follow any steeping regime you like.

I strongly recommend making a starter. While it's possible to be successful pitching an XL smack-pack only, even in the best of circumstances it's pitching half the yeast you really should.

Cheers!

Bob

I also recommend leaving the flaked wheat out. The Wheat extract is pretty darn good. I would also recommend making a starter for the yeast. It provides a much better ferment whit the gravities you are looking at. However, if you don't it wouldn't be the end of the world. I have done plenty of similar recipies like yours without a starter and they were great.

Have a great breweday!

Back