fermenting temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahammock

Reaction score
I have started home brewing and we keep our house at about 62 degrees. Since I am supposed to ferment at 68 to 70 any tips to keep it at this temp with out bumping the entire house temp? If i don't will it not ferment correctly?

What type of beers are you making? A temperature of 62 degrees is actually pretty good and unless you are making a beer where warmer fermenting temps are desired (saison, some hefeweizens, etc...) you want those cooler temps. Beer also ferments warmer than ambient temperature anyway. I'd be stoked if I could keep my house at 62 all the time. Trust me, your temp is fine.

Welcome to HBT.

I am brewing a chocolate Imperial Russian stout. All of the reading I have done says that the temp needs to be higher than that so I was worried that the yeast might die.

You'll be fine. The best way to ensure proper fermentation temps is to look at the yeast you are using, all yeasts list a temperature range or should. If not it can be found online. Some of the older texts recommend the higher temps, but low to mid 60's are better in most cases.

I needed to boost my fermentation temperature a couple of degrees so I put a heating pad (on low) around the bucket for 3~4 hours every 4 ~ 8 hours... the fermentation added some degrees to the equation and I ended up at 70 ~ 72 degrees during the primary for my Belgian Tripel....

Back