Home-made malted milk balls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slym2none

"Lazy extract brewer."
Reaction score
Has anyone ever made these? Last time I brewed, I had to taste the light DME, and it was just begging to be made into a crunchy candy & covered in chocolate.

If not, I am gonna experiment...

:rockin:

Nope, but I've made Seafoam Candy, which is similar in design. I'm guessing malted Milk Balls is made the same way but with malt and, you know, in ball shape. (That last bit may be teh hardest to do.)

Nope, but I've made Seafoam Candy, ...

0001881200001_300X300.jpg

Did it improve your top end?

lolz. I used Seafoam in my intake a while back. I sucked it into the intake/upper combustion chamber area & let it sit 30 minutes. So, my son & I took my lil tuner for a shake-down cruise to blow it out. Man, that thing smoked like a prairie fire every time I floored it going up Abbe Rd! The traffic behind me backed way off! Like, "look out! she's gonna blow"! :D
Anyway, I was wondering how to get the inside like a hard foam like the commercial ones? It's not like fondant, as my mil was French & really good at making that. Not sure about malted milk ball center?

I have a bag of dark DME that hardened. I was thinking about chiseling off pieces to cover in chocolate. This would be more like Homercidal's seafoam candy.

A very minny meatball maker and steam to create the hard round center. A 50 caliber round ball mold would also work, but I don't think I can clean out the lead well enough to take the chance.

I think what you're referring to is called a melon baller? We used to have one of those. One end was a bit bigger than the other.

I have a bag of dark DME that hardened. I was thinking about chiseling off pieces to cover in chocolate. This would be more like Homercidal's seafoam candy.

A very minny meatball maker and steam to create the hard round center. A 50 caliber round ball mold would also work, but I don't think I can clean out the lead well enough to take the chance.
What about a mellon baller?
31BP75TKMHL.jpg

I had not thought about DME as candy nor have I even tasted it. It sounds like a great idea...for someone who shouldn't stay away from extra sweets, like me.

I was thinking of a tong like affair for the perfect round. Minny meat ball makers that small aren't made though, the melon baller may be the best option.

That's what I was thinking... high-humidity somehow, at least as my first experiment.

What about a mellon baller?
31BP75TKMHL.jpg

I had not thought about DME as candy nor have I even tasted it. It sounds like a great idea...for someone who shouldn't stay away from extra sweets, like me.

The Briess light DME is delicious - really, almost exactly like the center of a Whopper!

Wow, think of the possibilities, porter, stout with coffee, brown, Maris Otter, pilsner, belgium pilsner, and use different chocolates white, dark and milk. You could absolutely go nuts with this one.

The Briess light DME is delicious - really, almost exactly like the center of a Whopper!

Wow, think of the possibilities, porter, stout with coffee, brown, Maris Otter, pilsner, belgium pilsner, and use different chocolates white, dark and milk. You could absolutely go nuts with this one.

I've never made bourbon balls, but have eaten my share--I wonder if you could use a similar recipe and use the Briess light DME mixed with fresh fermented beer of choice rolled into a ball and drizzled with chocolate and sprinkled with powdered hops (made from pellet hops)? It sounds good and the variations would be endless. one type of hop mixed with the DME and another as the powder coating! yummmmm. :ban:

Oh. Em. Gee.

You guys' ideas are making me drool like Homer Simpson!

Make a hops tea extract and put in the choclate, hop chocolate. Maybe put crispy rice in the light american styles.

Was it the hop chocolate, was it too much? Is that why this thread is ghost town.

I just haven't gotten to experimenting yet, that's all.

;)

I'm still thinking about it. Kitchen recipes use malted milk powder in a flour based dough to create the malt ball. No flavor there.
I was thinking small melon baller, sprayed with Pam® for release agent, mound with flavor choice of DME, hold over steam. Instant hard malt ball.

I am even thinking of using soda-water to make a stiff paste, scooping it up with a melon-baller, then letting it dry.

Hmm...

I swear I heard there is a spefic process to puff the malted balls (giggity) or you will crack a tooth.

Might be worth checking out.

I hate getting the hard ones. Could you make a milk, flour, malt with baking soda and make a cookie like thing.

Back