Pump newb question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SOPiiAC

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm planning out my future setup and it requires a couple pumps. I've never used a pump and I have a question about them. I know that you're not supposed to run them dry. What happens when you are pulling wort from your MT to your BK for example, and the last of the wort passes through the pump? Can you keep pumping until all the wort is in the BK or do you have to stop so the pump never is exposed to air while running?

Thanks!

I've only had mine a while so I'd give more weight to their responses, but I think its OK if it runs dry fr a second or two. When i drain the wort from the kettle, i want until its done and then immediately turn it off, so it does run dry for a brief moment.

Magnetic drive impeller pumps are lubricated by the fluid that they are pumping. Running the pump while dry for extended periods of time will cause damage to the impeller or the shaft. The pumps are not capable of pumping air and will always leave a bit of liquid in the lines.

Some of this depends on sparging method.

If you fly sparge the pump input should always be filled with wort, as you're going to stop the pump to draw a gravity sample and if you've reached your limit you're done pumping.

With batch sparging, otoh, one goal is to dial in the sparge volume just right so you pull the whole sparge into the kettle. That's the one where you'll likely run the pump dry for a screamin' second or two before you hit the switch. No big deal, as long as it's just a few seconds...

Cheers!

Also the fluid is what slows the RPM of the pump and if let run dry it will slowly start getting hot and hotter, then burn up. Normally you'd restrict the pump outlet to slow it down. But Hay I'm using a circulatory pump for a home heating boiler, so my info may not be the same as the other guys.

Also the fluid is what slows the RPM of the pump and if let run dry it will slowly start getting hot and hotter, then burn up. Normally you'd restrict the pump outlet to slow it down. But Hay I'm using a circulatory pump for a home heating boiler, so my info may not be the same as the other guys.

I hope it's a brass or stainless model because the cast iron ones (typical standard model) will rust quick with all the air in the system.

fwiw, he wasn't referring to a March pump - he was referring to the hot water heating system circulation pump referred to earlier...

Cheers!

Back