Improvement in water!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewishowardm3

Reaction score
So I usually get around 70% efficentcy, but tonight I brewed and got 89%. All I done different was treat my water. Does treating your water really give you that much better results? Or is it just a lucky brew day?

lewishowardm3 said:
So I usually get around 70% efficentcy, but tonight I brewed and got 89%. All I done different was treat my water. Does treating your water really give you that much better results? Or is it just a lucky brew day?

I went from one brew at 68% to 82% in the next batch with adjustments calculated on Bru'nWater. So yes it helps greatly.

I don't really think that water treatment improves efficiency. Milling, mashing, and lautering technique are more responsible for that. Water treatment improves conversion to sugars and quality of the beer.

By the way, those are huge improvements in efficiency. Good work regardless of the source!

mabrungard said:
Water treatment improves conversion to sugars

Isn't that a major part of "efficiency"? The rest is just how well you get those sugar out.

Back