Two questions re: bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtb178

Reaction score
Seemingly random questions about bottling and conditioning.

1. Does anyone have experience with carbing Sam Adams bottles to 3.5-4 volumes?

2. more generally, does the amount of time bottles are conditioned tend to increase the risk of bottle bombs? e.g., if I were to carb a Sam Adams bottle to 4 volumes, would the fact that I'd be conditioning the bottle for 8+ weeks make it more likely to become a bomb?

Thanks.

I'm not sure I undertand #1, but as long as you wait until fermentation is completed before bottling there is very little to no chance of having any bottle bombs.

I'm not sure I undertand #1, but as long as you wait until fermentation is completed before bottling there is very little to no chance of having any bottle bombs.

Sorry, I can clarify. I'm wondering if I can use SA bottles to carbonate a Belgian Golden Strong (to between 3.5-4 volumes). I ask about SA bottles because they're a little bit heavier than most standard 12 oz bottles, and I was hoping to carbonate them to a higher level than standard (2.5-3 volumes).

If I say yes and you bottle and things go south in a dangerous way, will you hold me liable? 3.5-4 volumes is pushing the limits. But if they are the thicker ones, give it a go. My suggestion is that if you bottle for that volume, put the case(s) of bottles in a plastic bag for the duration so just in case some blow, you won't have a huge mess.
Second ? : Carbonation is an equation with variables of time and temperature. At a higher temperature, your bottles could carb in a week. Lower temp, many weeks. Very low temp, maybe never..... If you do your sugar calculations and input correctly for 4 volumes, then eventually the yeast will eat all that sugar and fart out 4 volumes of CO2. Time and temp. Probably three weeks at about 68 would do the trick.

Good tips. I'll put the bottles in a container/bags for the 2.5 months or so they'll be conditioning. Thanks everyone.

Just be careful when opening those bottles. If, in fact, they are bombs, the bottles could shatter in your hand causing an unfortunate scene. I'd wear some gloves or something when opening the first just to be sure. Better that than a trip to the ER!

Latest posts

Back