Wyeast 1272 vs US-05 - BIG Difference!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snotpoodle

Reaction score
Hi,

Made a 1.060 Lakewalk APA on Sunday, split the 42 litre batch into 2 x 25 litre buckets.

One bucket got Wyeast 1272 (2L starter) and other bucket got 1 x packet of US-05 Dry Yeast.

Today, 5 full days after i pitched the yeasticles:

US-05 is at 1.018, tastes very fruity, not as much aroma.
1272 is at 1.040!!!!!! much more aroma, this bucket tastes great.

Amazing how the two different yeasts, in exactly the same temp and FV's have fermented at such different speeds.

Is 1272 well known as a slow fermenter? I was hoping to get down to 1.014, will the Wyeast even get there...i don't have till christmas!!

:cross:

Grainbill, mash and fermentation temperatures ? 1.040 is quite high for 5 days on a 2liter starter.

Its the Lakewalk IPA from Dude.

Lemme find the thread, i did exactly that, just stepped it up to 10gallons

Ingredients:
8.0 lbs 2-Row Brewers Malt
2.0 lbs Toasted Pale Malt
0.5 lbs Crystal Malt 60°L
0.5 lbs Wheat Flakes
.75 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
.75 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 min
1.0 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 ea Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 ea Fermentis US-56 Safale US-56
1.0 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.0 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
Schedule:
Mash @ 153 60 mins

That's the recipe, i mashed at 153 (67C) for 60 mins, followed the recipe to the tee.

Interesting that this 1272 has munched so little in so much time, but I checked now, and its still got a massive fluffy krausen, so I'll just have to give it a few more days.

I hope it'll catch up, I wanted to enter this into a competition for the 19th November :)

EDIT: Oh, and they are both fermenting at 20C (68F)

Makes me wonder if you somehow underpitched the 1272. How did you do your starter?

Sounds a bit premature to say you got different taste results but I'm curious to hear how this turns out.

I doubt cooling it down will make it more active, so i just left it at 68F.

Will check again on Sunday (take FG readings), and report back.

Still have a healthy fluffy krausen on both fermenters.

I have a series of American ales going with 1272. It does seem slower to me too. The krausen took well over a week to go down on my first batch (a rye pale). The second is just a couple of days into fermentation now.

Update:

Exactly 1 week after pitching:

US 05: 1012
Wyeat 1272: 1020.

Taste samples are both excellent, but strangely the US 05 is now leading the wonderful hop aroma race. It seems the 1272 has driven off some of the volatiles. I dunked the hydrometer several times to "awaken" the sample, and after this it really came alive.

Excellent citrus, grapefruit notes, with a great hop bitterness that lingers long after the sip.

I will update at bottling in 1 week, and I have a BJCP judge who will do proper taster notes for anyone who is interested.

In for tasting notes. Just made 5gal of Lake Walk and wish I'd made 50. Favorite pale ale so far, commercial or home brew.

"All your home brew are belong to us!"

Hey guys, I know this is a bit old but are there any updates on how this turned out??

Mikey

Hey guys, I know this is a bit old but are there any updates on how this turned out??

Mikey

dunno about updates, it's an old thread, but i use s-05 or 1272 for almost all of my american ales and there's some real differences. 05 is a beast, whether pitched dry from the pack or reused. ferments pretty quick, drops out clear quite quickly and produces a clean, dry, crisp ale. 1272 is a great yeast, but it's slower to get the job done, and to drop out of suspension. it'll either take several weeks or a cold crash to produce a bright beer. it doesn't attenuate as well as 05 most times, but i did just get >80% attenuation with it on the Rye P.A. i have kegged. it produces a very nice american ale, a little bit fruity, but still clean. leaves a little more sweetness than 05/1056/001. both are great yeasts, 05 for something you want clean and dry, 1272 when you want a little bit more sweetness and esters.

both are great yeasts, 05 for something you want clean and dry, 1272 when you want a little bit more sweetness and esters.

That is pretty much my opinion of those two yeasts also. I like 1272 a lot and it does clear up but it takes a little longer.

I did just about the same thing - APA recipe, split between US-05 and a 2L 1272 starter. I have to say that I really like the 1272 much better. Its got a fruitier, sweeter taste that goes great with the american C hops. I'll be using this one in my future IPAs.

FG 1272 = 1.022
FG US-05 = 1.010

The US-05 did a much better job attenuating and ended up with a cleaner dryer finish. Fermented at 68 degrees.

Back