First hop garden.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmat123

Reaction score
I am planning on planting my 1st year hop garden in the next 2 weeks and wanted to run my plan by some more knowledgeable hop growers. I am going to be building a 8'x4'x12" cedar box for my yard which is going to be sitting on top of some existing soil which I have tilled. I am going to be dedicating half the box (4 feet) to growing Cascade hops and the other half to 4 tomato plants. I was planning on planting 3 Cascade Rhizomes planted 16" apart and when they start growing up running twine to an eye bolts 15 feet up on the side of my house. I was planning on putting 16 cubic feet of top soil in the box (6" high), but wanted to know at what depth I should plant the rhizomes? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Most every source I've seen has instructed growers to cover them with an inch of soil. This makes sense due to the fact that the deeper they're planted, the further the rhizomes will be able to travel away from the crown before coming up for air. Believe me, they'll travel if you give them the opportunity.

3 rhizomes in a 16 square foot area seems like a lot. Remember you are going to get about 3 strong shoots per rhizome so you will need a twine for each set of 3. If you ran all 9 up one string it would most likely snap.

3 rhizomes in a 16 square foot area seems like a lot. Remember you are going to get about 3 strong shoots per rhizome so you will need a twine for each set of 3. If you ran all 9 up one string it would most likely snap.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably end up doing only 2 Cascade Rhizomes this year and space them a few feet apart.

I would add compost and a soaker hosed. If you want to splurge put the soaker hose on a timer. Your set up sounds very similar to my own. I have a huge composter so I have a lot of natural amendments for my soil. I've had positive success and if I pat myself on the back, I'm the envy of the other local home growers. Sounds like you have a great foundation for good hop growing.

Back