Fruit Stout Secondary Fermentation Stalled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I have a belgian imperial stout with WLP500 that clocks in at about %9 ABV. YEsterday I racked this onto 4# frozen blackberrys that I purreed with 1 bottle of merlot.

I racked the beer onto the fruit while it was still quite cold

24 hours later I was expecting a bit of a fermentation, but there is no activity. I have nothing but time here and the beer is sitting at 62 degrees for long term aging.

I am wondering if I should just let it ride for 2-3 months like I planned and hope it ferments the remaining sugars from the fruit or if I should rouse the belgian yeast up and warm up to 75 or so?

I wonder if the higher than average abv could be impairing them in their ability to wake back up again.

24 hours seems like a fairly short amount of time, plus you're on the lower end of the fermentation temp range for that yeast, no?

How long did it sit in the primary?

Yes the temp is a little low, two week primary, but terminal gravity was reached 3 days after pitching since I pitched so much yeast.

The yeast could be stressed, maybe I could throw some fresh WLP500 in there I suppose to help work on the sugars.

Latest posts

Back