Avery DesignPro 5 LE question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erbium:YAG

Reaction score
If anyone out there is using Avery DesignPro 5 LE, I have a question. Once you create your label, is there any way to save an image of the label in let's say a jpeg format? I just started dabbling with this program and have made up a couple of labels I'd like to get opinions on; but it seems I can only save it in the DesignPro format. I guess it's a limitation with a program like this. If I have to, I guess I could always print and scan.

Over all, I highly recommend DesignPro 5 LE for anyone considering making some of their own labels. It's a very intuitive program and it does have alot of nice features which allow for nice customization. Of couse it doesn't have the power or ultimate flexibility and feature set of a program like PhotoShop; but it's very easy to use and it's free.

I can't find a "save as" feature in DesignPro light. I just did a screen capture PrtScn and then used the Gimp or Windows Paint to paste in the image. I can then crop and save as JPG or PNG.

Rodanrodanadana said:
I can't find a "save as" feature in DesignPro light. I just did a screen capture PrtScn and then used the Gimp or Windows Paint to paste in the image. I can then crop and save as JPG or PNG.

That'll give you a 72dpi image. For printing, you want no less than a 150dpi image. 72 is perfect for the screen, but will print out all choppy looking. It's like sandpaper - the higher the dpi (like the grit count) the rougher the image.

Yes, but for printing you would probably simply print from inside DesignPro, otherwise the print won't line up with the sheet of multiple Avery labels correctly.

You want to be able to export to JPG so that you can post images of your labels here and brag about them :)

Rodanrodanadana said:
You want to be able to export to JPG so that you can post images of your labels here and brag about them :)

Yeah, then screen print (Alt-ScrPrint) will do you justice.

This is one I just made for my first batch of beer. I will only put it on bottles that are going to be given away or hang around for a long time. It uses the Avery floppy disk label and is laser printed rather than ink jet, thus the lack of colour.

6780-Untitled.png

SWMBO has been using slightly larger ones on wine bottles.

Rodanrodanadana said:
This is one I just made for my first batch of beer. I will only put it on bottles that are going to be given away or hang around for a long time. It uses the Avery floppy disk label and is laser printed rather than ink jet, thus the lack of colour.

6780-Untitled.png

SWMBO has been using slightly larger ones on wine bottles.

I really like it.

Your best design work will always come when you're working with black and white. You'll be less tempted to make it overly busy or with too many effects.

Points for:
1. Geometric design (diamond in a diamond)
2. Minimal use of fonts (I think I only see 2)
3. Balanced design
4. Cat picture blends in well and follows the theme.

A+

Cheesefood said:
I really like it.

Cheers. ;)

Here it is on a bottle. This was using an Avery knock off from worldlabel.com. They sent me a bunch of samples. The silver foil is probably too expensive to use normally, but might be nice for people to use when entering competitions or giving away etc. Also I got some totally clear labels, which might look good on a clear glass bottle containing a Mexican style lager.

6780-naughty_animal_cream_ale_bottle.jpg

Back