De-labeling Dos Equis bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Concarne

Reaction score
I'm preparing to bottle a batch tomorrow and giving some bottles a good oxy soak. However the labels from Dos XX bottles are not coming off as easily as the others. Seems like the labels are a foil like material. Has anyone else had this issue? Do i just need to soak longer or am i wasting time with these bottles? Thanks!

They will come off, but some just take longer than others due to the paper and/or glue used. Try using hot water and a little stronger concentration of oxi and more time and they should eventually come off.

Soak it a bit longer; I have found some champagne bottles have a foil label, but seem to use the same glue.

What do you expect from the beer the most interesting man in the world drinks.

1266603377-DosEquisMan.jpg

If you're planning to use a lever style wing-capper, better spend 2 minutes and try to cap an empty bottle before you go to the trouble of removing labels.

What I found was that while I could get the cap to crimp on, the crimp wasn't tight enough, and the cap would easily spin on the top of the bottle.

If you look at the ridge on Dos Equis bottles, it is rather small & higher up, compared to most pop-offs.

Good luck with it. Maybe your combination will work better than mine.

Scratch the labels with a knife and they will come off faster after a soak.

I don't like bottles with the smaller flange. I can cap them but I have to be more careful. Beside those bottles are the lightest I've used.

To echo what everyone else said, give them a longer soak. I have six of them and I let them soak overnight and while the labels didn't fall off, I could pull them off pretty easy. I think I had to scrub the glue off though.

If you're planning to use a lever style wing-capper, better spend 2 minutes and try to cap an empty bottle before you go to the trouble of removing labels.

What I found was that while I could get the cap to crimp on, the crimp wasn't tight enough, and the cap would easily spin on the top of the bottle.

If you look at the ridge on Dos Equis bottles, it is rather small & higher up, compared to most pop-offs.

Good luck with it. Maybe your combination will work better than mine.

And not to hijack the thread, but don't ever try to use Heineken bottles unless you have a bench capper. As XXguy mentions above, my wing capper couldn't get a good seal on the bottle. I found this out after I tore off their crazy plastic label and used lots of elbow grease and a SOS pad to get the glue from their label off.

And not to hijack the thread, but don't ever try to use Heineken bottles unless you have a bench capper. As XXguy mentions above, my wing capper couldn't get a good seal on the bottle. I found this out after I tore off their crazy plastic label and used lots of elbow grease and a SOS pad to get the glue from their label off.

I wouldn't want to use them but for a different reason. I prefer my beer unskunked.:drunk:

Thirds on what Challenger and XXGuy said - Dos Equis uses European-convention bottles - smaller opening. They are not the same size as American standard bottles, which can lead to difficulties capping. It can be managed but it's an extra bother that adds nothing to your beer or brewing experience. [Edit - with a bench capper, this is a non-issue.]

By the way, among my recipes is a Dos Equis clone made with ale yeast that came out very well and very close.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f59/dos-equis-clone-57169/

I wonder if all the effort in removing labels could be better spent in just pasting the homebrew labels OVER the existing ones? Thoughts on this approach?

I've had no problem with Dos Equis Amber bottles. Did a 24 hour soak in TSP and the labels came right off then a little scrub to get glue off. I don't have any issues with my caps holding carb either.

After soaking, grip the bottle with a Scotchbrite pad and turn it until your forearm starts to burn so bad you can't stand it. The label should start to give and eventualy come off. If that doesn't work, leave the labels on. The beer goes inside anyways.

Thirds on what Challenger and XXGuy said - Dos Equis uses European-convention bottles - smaller opening. They are not the same size as American standard bottles, which can lead to difficulties capping. It can be managed but it's an extra bother that adds nothing to your beer or brewing experience. [Edit - with a bench capper, this is a non-issue.]

By the way, among my recipes is a Dos Equis clone made with ale yeast that came out very well and very close.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f59/dos-equis-clone-57169/

Thanks for the tips everyone.

I just let them soak longer an they came easier.

As far as capping issues- I did notice a little more difficulty capping these but the seal seems good -- no spinning or anything, seems tight. I'll have to see ina few weeks if they carbed properly. I only had a couple of these so it won't be a big loss if they don't work out.

Thanks for the recipe. I will def check that out

I just took the labels off a heineken. Soaked in oxy overnight, the labels came off, but the glue remained on pretty good. I scrubbed them with a rough pad soaked in acetone and that pretty much took it all off. What was left I scraped off with a razor blade. The razor blade alone probably could have removed the glue, next time I'll reverse the procedure.

Back