Second year == whoa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephelton

Reaction score
I'm growing my Cascade hops (in a large pot) in the second year. Last year, it was about the middle of may or so (IIRC) that I started seeing enough growth to start training my first bine.

It is now year two, and the beginning of April. This plant is going nuts. The first shoot is now about 18" tall has wrapped about 2.5 revolutions around its rope.

There are 14 other shoots that I can count as well. Last year, I let two have their way, and X'ed the others. I think my pot is about 7.5 gallon. How many of these shoots should I allow to thrive? Should I cut the main one that is doing so well?

And while I'm on the subject, will my 7 month old puppy be hurt if he eats some of the leaves of this plant while I'm not paying attention?

I can't help you with how many shoots to allow to grow, or which ones to cut.

But I can tell that HOPS are TOXIC to DOGS. Don't let your menacing puppy near them, otherwise you might be paying quite the Vet bill.

But I can tell that HOPS are TOXIC to DOGS. Don't let your menacing puppy near them, otherwise you might be paying quite the Vet bill.

Hah, I was afraid I might quickly turn this thread into a HOPS + DOGS rant.

I've made quite an effort so far to keep him away, and have even tried to do the opposite so that I can clearly demonstrate that I do not want him near the plant.

I will probably put some chickenwire or similar up to help keep him away.

Thanks!

...And at the risk of further derailing my post, what are the symptoms (if any) that a dog poisened by a hop plant exhibit?

Hops can cause malignant hyperthermia in dogs: the body temperature rises uncontrollably.
The dog will pant a lot and may die without treatment.
It seems to be more of an allergic-type reaction than a toxic effect.

The cases I've read about involved either kettle trub or hop pellets.
I haven't heard of any dogs damaged by drinking beer or by eating the leaves or bines.
I think whole hops or plugs would be the same as pellets.

Keep an eye on your dog when he's near the plant and tell him sternly to 'leave it'.

One of my dogs dug up the rhizome I planted earlier this week and was walking around with it in her mouth like it was her new favorite stick. No hops on it so I pulled it from her mouth and scolded her. This is a first, my dogs have never shown interest in them before. It's still better be to safe than sorry, so I'll be building some kind of deer/dog fence containment thing.

...And at the risk of further derailing my post, what are the symptoms (if any) that a dog poisened by a hop plant exhibit?
They will try to add yeast to their water dish; they tend to open bottles with their teeth; they develop a preference for Bone Ruination and Pliny the Retriever; their "aim" at the hydrant becomes poor. There is no known cure.

They will try to add yeast to their water dish; they tend to open bottles with their teeth; they develop a preference for Bone Ruination and Pliny the Retriever; their "aim" at the hydrant becomes poor. There is no known cure.

LMFAO!!! Brilliant:rockin:

I'm growing my Cascade hops (in a large pot) in the second year. Last year, it was about the middle of may or so (IIRC) that I started seeing enough growth to start training my first bine.

It is now year two, and the beginning of April. This plant is going nuts. The first shoot is now about 18" tall has wrapped about 2.5 revolutions around its rope.

There are 14 other shoots that I can count as well. Last year, I let two have their way, and X'ed the others. I think my pot is about 7.5 gallon. How many of these shoots should I allow to thrive? Should I cut the main one that is doing so well?

And while I'm on the subject, will my 7 month old puppy be hurt if he eats some of the leaves of this plant while I'm not paying attention?

There was an article in BYO last year about growing hops in containers, and the author recommended using at least a 20" pot, with no more that three bines per pot.
I kept mine to two bines last year, and am allowing three this year. My shoots at 6"-8" already, before today's rain...and now sun.

Hops are not toxic to dogs. Hops are toxic to dogs with a rare genetic defect.

Stating Hops are toxic to dogs is no more accurate than stating peanuts are toxic to people.

There was an article in BYO last year about growing hops in containers, and the author recommended using at least a 20" pot, with no more that three bines per pot.
I kept mine to two bines last year, and am allowing three this year. My shoots at 6"-8" already, before today's rain...and now sun.

That is the article that got me going. My Centennial didn't make it last year, so I just have the Cascade. It's doing very well though, I've got one shoot that is about 16" or so.

Second year is indeed Crazy. I put in 1 rhizome last year and 200 rhizomes this year the new ones aren't even out of the ground yet, but the one from last year is 4 feet tall and has 3 bines almost as thick as pencils. I was out on the farm watering today and, over the course of the 3 or 4 hours I was there, the tallest bine grew almost a half a rotation round the string. It was pretty crazy.

My second year plants are up too in NJ. Gotta get some string set up so they have something to climb.

Cascade, Fuggle, Sterling & Mt. Hood 2nd years are all up in CT. They are growing over an inch a day with this weather we've been having!

I've never heard of this "earth-tainer", but if what I'm reading is half true I want to rip up my raised garden and rebuild it. Anyone else use this technique?

My raised garden had drip hoses on top, which feed water to the hops. The plan is to attach the drip hoses to rain barrels so I don't have to use city water. I could still keep this plan, but lower my water consumption by using an earthtainer. Crap, I need to rethink my whole hop garden.

My Newport Hops (Year 2, grown in an EarthBox) are now approximately a foot taller than my Magnum Hops (Year 3, grown in a planter), and 2 to 2 1/2 feet taller than my Cascade Hops (Year 3, grown in a planter). I'm thinking that next year I'm moving them all to Earthboxes!

:mug:

my third years are trying to take over my lawn!

i know - not much of a lawn anyways:eek:

IMG_1309.jpg

IMG_1310.jpg

Chinook are going crazy, they are like 3-4 feet now. I'm trimming back all but 4 bines on each plant. My poles are only 10ft...gonna have to figure something out when they get there.

Love these scare posts. While there is some truth , this is not the nightshade that people are making it out to be.

If you do research on this topic you will find a single reference and plenty of anecdotal additional.

"Malignant hyperthermia-like reaction secondary to ingestion of hops in five dogs", K.L. Duncan, W. Hare, W. Buck, JAVMA, Vol 210, No 1, Jan, 1997.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8977648

The plant is NOT an issue.... used hops soaked in sweet wort was.

Interestingly most of the dogs were Grey Hounds

I have heard of two additional incidents - anecdotal only and the dogs did live after treatment.

Dont just toss the hops into compost or on the ground after brewing.

Back