Anyone build their own bar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JnJ

Reaction score
I have a spare room off the living room that I'd like to build a bar in. I'm pretty handy and have a ton of tools, but I haven't done much carpentry type work. I'd love some incite and some basic info on framing. Pictures would be great!

You might try looking at some woodworkers sites. Although brewpastor made a really nice bar top for his chest kegger.

I am currently in the process of building a bar.

I choose to go with a 2x4 sub frame as i have a bunch of friends that like ot drink and stumble, this way if they stumble into it, the bar is more than just some 5/8s oak plywood jointed together.

I will post pictures when i get home tonight of the frame, as that is all i have gotten done with all of my other projects.

Reverend JC said:
I am currently in the process of building a bar.

I choose to go with a 2x4 sub frame as i have a bunch of friends that like ot drink and stumble, this way if they stumble into it, the bar is more than just some 5/8s oak plywood jointed together.

I will post pictures when i get home tonight of the frame, as that is all i have gotten done with all of my other projects.

Cool, I look forward to seeing the pictures!

You probably have seen this but in case you have not, here is the bar I have been building on a chest freezer:
CIMG10072.jpg

Here's mine:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11476

Since then I've finished off the area around the drain pipe, and put up an old Schlitz ad, plus pics of Frank Sinatra and Johnny Cash:rockin:

I built mine with a 2x4 frame, covered in 1/4 plywood with 1x4 trim. The bar top is a 2x12. Underneath I have a cheesy homemade kegerator.

Oh, and I moved the play kitchen to the spare room.

I've got "stumblees" at my bar as well. So I built mine very stout. I started out with a 2x4 frame. I made sure to save a spot for my Dorm Fridge, Looking glass in front, and my storage spot, after that I put 1/2in plywood, then 1/4 in oak panels. The top is 3/4 in particle board and 1/4 in Oak panel. and then I trimmed it out with solid oak and a router. cost me about $800 and a months time.

At my last residence, I built a very nice, framed out bar using 2x4's and a sheet of 1/2 " oak plywood for the top, wainscoting for the sides. it was 8' long, 2 1/2 feet wide, and 3 3/4 feet tall. It was complete with cabinet space behind it as well as a mounting area for a bar fridge.

But, I sold that house, and the new owner demanded to have the bar, so it stayed with the house.

My dad and one of my best friends helped me build that bar .. . . I miss it so. . .

But anyway, it can be done with good effect. I never did draw anything out or write anything down other than general dimensions. I actually considered putting a tower on it, and, seeing as how I had to give it up with the house, I'm glad I didn't.

My new house came complete with an 8 1/2 ' wet bar, back bar, cabinetry, and a fridge that I converted to a kegerator. So, in the end, I'm ahead. Although I do miss my first bar.

Brewpastor said:
You probably have seen this but in case you have not, here is the bar I have been building on a chest freezer:
CIMG10072.jpg

that thing is freakin' amazing. I do believe that I would never go to work if I had that hanging around home.

If I had brewpastors set up, I'd be........"Wife??? Who needs a wife???"
Is that dude married? I know Catholic priest aren't. If he is, she's one understanding woman.

Back