Black Cat Porter- thoughts for a AG noob?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sea2summit3

Reaction score
Black Cat Porter was the first really successful partial mash recipe I created last year, which I now converted to AG via Beersmith. This will be my second AG batch ever, after making a tried and true recipe from HBT last week. Thoughts on quantity or ingredients? The only changes I've made from my extract recipe is adding oats and changing from WLP013 to Nottingham yeast. I'm going for a robust porter. Does Beersmith have an easy way to "copy & paste" recipes into HBT? After a little bit of searching, my guess is no :(

Black Cat Porter
Est OG 1.064
Est FG 1.015
Batch Sparging

11lb Pale 71%
1.5 Crystal 60L 10%
1lb Black 6.5%
1lb Chocolate 6.5%
1lb Oats (head retention) 6.5%
1.25 oz Chinnok- 60min 41.1 IBU
1.00 oz fuggles- 15min 6.7 IBU
0.75 cup Dextrin (mouthfeel?)
0.5 tsp Irish Moss- 10 min
Nottingham yeast starter off a yeast cake

Wow - that's a big Porter, even for a 6 gallon batch.

I think you've got too much roasted malt in there. I'd back the Black Patent off to a half-pound, max.

I'd also back off the Crystal to a pound. You're adding a lot of body with the oats. Also, depending on the mash temperature, you could end up brewing a pretty chewy beer. I'd mash this one low and slow - no more than 150F for probably 90 minutes.

Omit the dextrin. You won't need it.

Cheers!

Bob

Wow - that's a big Porter, even for a 6 gallon batch.

By big do you mean OG, body, grain bill... all the above?

I was wondering if i had too much dark malt. So dropping the crystal to 1#, black to 0.5#, and chocolate to 0.5# drops OG to 1.059, and color to 33 SRM (from 59), which is more in line with style guidelines. I'm not too concerned with color though... mainly taste. I definitely don't want chewy!

Back