Kegerator Rebuild?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountainbeers

Reaction score
Ok so I'm in college and therefore poor and my friend had this laying around.

My old roommate had a kegerator and I brewed a couple batches and used his. But he moved and now I don't have one.

P8311432.jpg

The problem with this one is it just blows hot air. I guess it probably has a freon leak or something. Does anyone know how expensive it is to repair the freon in a fridge?

P8311434.jpg

The ammo box is welded onto the top because the fridge isn't tall enough for a 1/2 bbl with the connection. You have to reach down through the top to tap it. I guess my friend forgot to think about that part. There is also a piece of foam that goes over it to "insulate" it a little better haha.

P8311436.jpg

P8311437.jpg

So anyways I was just wondering what I should do. Considering the cost of freon vs. how much it would cost to just make a new kegerator or keezer?

I would get a 'new' used minifridge and gut this one to build out the new one, you could get one for $50 off craigslist and will probably be more energy efficient than the old one.

Just make sure you measure the new fridge before buying it so it's big enough.

Yea this is a nice commercial fridge but that hole in the top is no good and I think it's pretty expensive to get the freon replaced.

Craigslist is just not too great in Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia but I guess I just have to be patient.

Hobart repairs always mean big $$$$$.
Compressors are usually what goes on commercial refrigeration units. It may be something less serious but I've never had a repair man in my R&D kitchen for refrigeration that didn't cost me several hundred or thousand dollars.

Back