Thoughts on German Hefe..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riored4v

Reaction score
I dont have a recipe put together, but was asking around for ideas on the next brew to make and a few ideas that were tossed at me kinda came together. One person mentioned a blueberry ale and another mentioned a german style hefe.

So i'm thinking a german hefe with some blueberry added it...???? Thinking of maybe the Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan for some nice banana flavors to go along with the blueberry.

Thoughts on this? To sweet maybe?

My first brew when I got back to brewing was a mix of all sorts of bad decisions and info. I think I posted the recipe on here somewhere....Anyway, I had no idea about yeast characteristics and I saw a wheat yeast but didn't worry about the Bavarian in front of it as well as a can of Oregon raspberry. Along with some other problems it was one of the worst beers I have ever tasted.

So in short I don't think the hefe yeast lends itself to anything other than the flavors it produces. So a hefe is a hefe. To me fruit needs to be added to a basic recipe with somewhat of a neutral yeast. I could be wrong though.

The place that hosts meetings for our brew club is a contract brewery. The brewer there tends to use blonde ales as the base for his fruit flavored beers. At least, the ones that I'm aware of anyway.

He had a watermellon blonde once that was unexpectedly reaaaallly good.

I did a split batch a while back, half 3638 half 3608. The 3608 is definitely what I would use for a traditional German Hefe like Weinstephaner or Paulaner. I went 50-50 pils and white wheat...I'd go a little heavier on the wheat because mine came out crystal clear. Good luck.

I think the beer may be muddled if you add any fruit to 3068. How about brewing a doulbe batch and spliting between 3068 and 1010? Then add the blueberries to the 1010. Reason why I say it could be muddled is because I added some apricot extract to a glass of a hefe I made just recently and it was crap. Granted it wasn't real fruit, but I just wanted to see if I could do the same thing you're talking about. I went 50% 2 row, 40% flaked wheat (rice hulls added of course), and 10% vienna.

Back