Advantages/disadvantages of grain bag??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmystank

Reaction score
Is there any advantages/disadvantages on using a bag for both the grain and hops to avoid excessive trub?

i assume you are talking about a minimash on the grain side??
and if you are not going to use the bag and buy - build a MLT why not just do all grain ?

Without a bag you need a 3-vessel setup, and you can't crush as finely so you need a sparge to get good efficiency. There's more to clean and the whole system takes longer on brew-day. You can handle almost arbitrarily large batches, depending on the size of the setup. Step/decoction mashing are easier.

It's tough to do batches bigger than 10 gallons in a bag, and you need a pulley to do those (5 gallons can be lifted by hand). It's much cheaper and easier to get started than a 3-vessel. You don't need to save out volume for sparging, so you can do a much thinner mash. You want a bag that fully lines the inside of the pot to get good efficiency (a smaller bag will hurt efficiency). Efficiency seems to top out somewhere around 85% in a bag.

An eight dollar grain bag that can handle 5-6 pounds of grain in a 5 gallon kettle is about the top end for an aprtment dweller unless you can go all grain on your deck or terrace.

Compared to doing a pound or two with a collander or strainer it is eight dollars well spent.

I just whirlpool to keep hops in the kettle and out of the fermenter. I can't leave my bag in the kettle during the boil cause it would melt.

HTH, was that the question?

A big grain bag makes the whole process of partial mashes or steeping much easier. I've never had a problem with efficiency, even when I just teabag to sparge.

I've been doing the BIaB (Brew in a bag) method since January and I have gotten efficiency in the mid to high 70's even on huge grainbills for my equipment (12.xxlbs in a 5gal pot)

+1 on BIAB. Also, I heard about "paint straining bags" here on this forum and found some at the local gigantic hardware store. I can NOT imagine brewing without them now. They are the perfect size/fineness. I do sort of BIAB and by using the paint strainer, you don't need to do a recirculation to clear the wort. Just pull the bag out and you're done.

Its been a while since anyone posted to this thread, but I didn't want to start another.

I did my first BIAB today. It was the most relaxed brew day I can recall ever. I am leaving on fishing trip tomorrow and I can't find one of my fly bags. I was actually able to look for and find the fly bag while brewing. I was constantly thinking I forgot something and thinking I needed to write something down, but I didn't. I did a 3 step mash 50/60/70, and I got 75% efficeinecy, which blew me away as I set my calculator for 70% and thought I'd be lucky to get that. I've been brewing smaller batches the last few sessions. Today I did an APA with 3.5 into gallons into fermentor. I can't speak for large batches, but if its 5 gallons or less this is my method from now on.

I liked the fact doing the 3 step, the first rest didn't need any heat (15 min 50C), the second step (45 min 60C) only needed a few small bursts of heat, and the last rest (15 Min 70C) I ddin't touch it.

The wort is cloudier when boiling, but I got a good break.

One thing I do all the time I got from this site is put my chiller into a bag before the end of the boil. I pull the chiller w/ bag, give it a good whirlpool with a spoon, and let it settle a bit, put the chiller and bag back into pot and rack with the cane inside the bag. I also just chuck the hops into the boil with this method.

Back