Do not foam during batch sparge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beertastic

Reaction score
Reading this beersmith article on batch sparging, he mentions twice to be gentle and not to foam when adding the sparge water.

I've just been dumping in the 4 gallons straight into the mash tun, creating lots of foam (but I've only done a handful of AG batches).

Why does he say this? Why is it bad?

http://www.beersmith.com/batch-sparging/

I believe it has to do with hot side aeration, but have been told you really have to aerate the crap out of itvto worry about it too much. I err on the side of caution and don't do it, my beers have turned out great, so I don;t change my practice.

Another reason to add the vorleauf back gently is so that you do not disturb the grain bed.

It's nonsense. I do just like you all the time and never have any issues. Hotside aeration is mostly a myth.

Rev.

I brewed pro on a 50bbl Century system that had 7 collection points under the false bottom. Each pipe led to its own valve that dumped into a grant. That grant had a pump that sent the runoff to the kettle. I know that every batch that was made there in 6 years of operation had hot side aeration. We also won medals, like bronze for hefe at 98 GABF. No worries from me.

It's nonsense. I do just like you all the time and never have any issues. Hotside aeration is mostly a myth.

+1 At least in a homebrew setting. If you're pouring 15bbls from 15 feet creating a massive froth, maybe. But we're not doing that. Pour your heart out ;)

EDIT: Except for vorlauf as duboman said...good point.

Do what you can to avoid splashing without going through too much trouble. In other words, if you're pouring hot liquids, don't do it from 3 feet high if you can do it from a foot. Other than that, don't worry about it.

You're going to boil it which makes the wort a very oxygen low environment. Frankly, if you're batch sparging, you should make sure the sparge water is thoroughly mixed with the grains. IE stir the crap out of it and let it sit for 10 minutes before draining.

It's a common misconception that hot side aeration is when oxygen persists through the boil but it's a process that creates compounds during the hot side brewing work. Therefore, if HSA is a problem, the boil and its ability to drive oxygen off has no effect on it. It's already hosed.

Do what you can to avoid splashing without going through too much trouble. In other words, if you're pouring hot liquids, don't do it from 3 feet high if you can do it from a foot. Other than that, don't worry about it.

THIS^^^^

I don't believe HSA is a myth, but I do believe you have to be pretty sloppy to get it. I try to avoid splashing and foaming, but I don't worry much if it happens.

It's a common misconception that hot side aeration is when oxygen persists through the boil but it's a process that creates compounds during the hot side brewing work. Therefore, if HSA is a problem, the boil and its ability to drive oxygen off has no effect on it. It's already hosed.

Bobby scores again!

Thanks guys. I have no valves on my kettles yet, so I'm just dumping 4 gallons right in the cooler with a single sparge. I guess I could split the sparge up to help with foaming (would make for a gentler pour), but it sounds like I shouldn't really worry about it.

Why not double batch sparge? That's what I do. Personally I feel it would be more efficient than a single, but I've never done a single so I may be wrong.

Rev.

Why not double batch sparge? That's what I do. Personally I feel it would be more efficient than a single, but I've never done a single so I may be wrong.

Rev.

Based on my experience, you're wrong. The only time I do more than one sparge addiditon is if I'm using so much graiI can't fit all the water in at once. I average 85% with a single sparge.

Thanks guys. I have no valves on my kettles yet, so I'm just dumping 4 gallons right in the cooler with a single sparge. I guess I could split the sparge up to help with foaming (would make for a gentler pour), but it sounds like I shouldn't really worry about it.

I use a 1/2 gal. pitcher to add water so I don't have to pour it all in at once.

Based on my experience, you're wrong. The only time I do more than one sparge addiditon is if I'm using so much graiI can't fit all the water in at once. I average 85% with a single sparge.

Good to know I'm wrong, thanks Denny. Next time I brew I will try a single batch sparge and see the outcome. I would certainly prefer one sparge than two. Unfortunately I won't be able to report back until September as I just finished my last brew of the season today. I take a break once the weather gets warmer here since the temps in the house start getting a bit too warm to ferment at a nice cooler temp. Plus, it gives me time to concentrate on my music - will finally get my second album done :rockin:

Rev.

I think we're getting wrapped around the axle on a part of a sentence in an article on sparging.

Good to know I'm wrong, thanks Denny. Next time I brew I will try a single batch sparge and see the outcome. I would certainly prefer one sparge than two. Unfortunately I won't be able to report back until September as I just finished my last brew of the season today. I take a break once the weather gets warmer here since the temps in the house start getting a bit too warm to ferment at a nice cooler temp. Plus, it gives me time to concentrate on my music - will finally get my second album done :rockin:

Rev.

Best of luck with the album! Having been in the music biz for over 45 years, I know how tough it is.

Back