How easy are hops to transplant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge421

Reaction score
I am currently growin 3 Cascade Rhizomes in a very large gardening pot, its probably close to 15 gallons. I am doing this because I will be moving in the coming year and want to be able to transport them to the new house easily. Once I get them to their new home how do I go about transplanting them. They are first year hops and are already about 8' long or so. Once I harvest them and bury the rhizome for the winter how do I go about transplanting them in the spring?

Wait until about april. carefully move the dirt away from the area the hop is. locate the part of the bine you burried and find a piece of the burried bine turned rhizome that has buds on it. cut the piece and burry it in a new location.
Or so i hear lol

You don't need to do anything this fall, except trim off the bines after they die. Next April, just remove the roots from the pot and transplant them. The secondary root system will regrow.

If you want more plants, then bury 2-3 feet of each bine after the harvest. Do not cut them from the root. In the spring, you should have shoots all along the bine. Cut it into pieces with a few shoots on each & you'll have plenty rhizomes.

I had excellent luck transplanting this spring, but I went far out of my way to minimize root loss. I went in like a surgeon and dug out all the major roots by hand, probably spent half an hour on each one (those damn roots go a loooong way in just a year!)

Back