BeerSmith/Sparging Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfista

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,

Now that I have a feel that I generally understand the all grain process better, I'm getting ready for batch number #2. I have an IPA kit/recipe that I'm trying to replicate in BeerSmith. Here's the problem I'm facing...

I'm selecting 'Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge'

It corrects the liquor temp to 168.7 degrees to hit 154 degrees at mash in.

However, when viewing the Brew Log/Recipe, it suggests a sparging water temp of 168 degrees which, as I understand it, should be a target temperature - the sparging water should be corrected upward to land at 168. Is this method correct, and if so, any ideas why it is not reflected properly in beersmith? Or is this an ID10-T error on my part?

Thanks!

does the beer smith include a 'mash out'? this is raising the temp at the end of the mash to 168-170ish to stop the enzyme activitiy and help loosen up the mash. then you can sparge with 168 degree water and get all the goodies out. if you go too high with the sparge temp, the general rule of thumb is you can extract bitter resins and tannins from the husks.

just use the "single infussion med body" this will give you a mash out and get you to the right temps. Well it has worked for me this way.

Latest posts

Back