Possible Wet Cardboard American Orange Wheat? :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phreak

Reaction score
So this is my first 2.5 Gal all grain batch and I think after all my careful procedures to ensure it turned out great, I might have screwed it up at the finish line. This was my first time using an autosiphon and I had everything batch primed and ready to send down to those beautiful amber bottles. I cranked up the siphon and *blub blub blub* into the beer. CRAP!! I took it out, cleared it and tried again....*blub blub blub* back into the beer again. Now I'm REALLY freaking out. Turns out, I had the bottle wand attached and since the air only flows if the pin is pushed, I blew air back into the beer. Did I just completely ruin this batch? I've read how oxidation is really bad, so I'm now concerned I've made a batch of wet cardboard american wheat? :mad: Is this salvagable? By this I mean, is there a chance it wasn't oxidized THAT bad and still quite drinkable? Anyone else do this before and it still turned out ok?

The times that I've had problems with oxidation, some bottles got it pretty bad while others were still perfectly drinkable. I wouldn't go dumping the entire batch before you have a chance to try a few.

I just had to chime in here.....Last time I used my auto sipfon i also had bubbles....after messing with it..i just went with it..my wheat ipa turned out great...next time if I cant stop the bubbles I think I will just siphon with my vinyl tube......just a thought...Tom

A few blub blub's probably won't be a big deal. Now if you siphoned the whole thing by letting the beer pour out of the wand and let it splash a few feet into the bucket creating an orange julius frappe, well that is a different story. I've done the, left the bottling tip on the wand, thing in the beginning...it wasn't a big deal. Now, would I do it on purpose, obviously not, but live and learn. I made a batch of bitter that had a little wet cardboardy taste. Yeah, I drank the hell out of it. It was better than BMC for sure.

Relax and have a beer.

BTW, if you don't make some mistake(s) when brewing beer for the first time (or any time) then you're much different than anyone else. That's how you learn.

That's great news! Thank you guys for your help and reassurance. I'll chalk it up to inexperience and learn from it for the next batch. We'll see how it turns out. :mug:

Latest posts

Back