I Love Bud

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can, but that is only because I am a master.

Really though OP, Why do people hate anything? Just live happily and if someone else likes something you don't...who cares? Live your life, enjoy what you enjoy, and relax.

:D well....someone has to be the 1%..........

Budweiser is to my knowledge the best selling beer anywhere.

Not sure what you included in anywhere, but no, Snow Beer, from China, made from SABMiller and China Resources Enterprise, is the top selling beer in the world. The second I believe is Skol from Brazil, made by InBev, which happens to be also the owner of the Bud brand after they got sold a couple of years ago.

Not sure what you included in anywhere, but no, Snow Beer, from China, made from SABMiller and China Resources Enterprise, is the top selling beer in the world. The second I believe is Skol from Brazil, made by InBev, which happens to be also the owner of the Bud brand after they got sold a couple of years ago.

Heee haaa !!!! GO South africa!!! Ever wonderd what SAB(miller) stands for? "South African Breweries" We make YOUR beer!??!
:off:
and we gona kick ass in the rugby world cup!!:rockin:

BMC has value, I precook my bratwurst in a boil with it before grilling. I also witnessed a lawn nazi use a keg of it to spray his grass to green it up. But the greatest place for it is giving it to your friends who don't know any better (miss those days, lots more beer for the $) and saving your homebrew. :D

I have never heard of either of those brands before.

No wonder! Snow Beer is only sold in China, but remember, with more than 1 billion people, their market is HUGE!

Not suprprised you have not heard about Skol from Brasil either! Heck, a lot of people don't know that the the American icon BUDWEISER belongs to a Brazilian-Belgian company! Skol is the top selling beer in Brazil and Brazilians drink about 1/3 of the beer produced in the world! :drunk:

Heee haaa !!!! GO South africa!!! Ever wonderd what SAB(miller) stands for? "South African Breweries" We make YOUR beer!??!
and we gona kick ass in the rugby world cup!!:rockin:

Hugby is for people who can't play soccer... Ooppss I said it :D

To each their own. Everybody has a different palate. It's a combination of marketing, tradition, conditioning, and value. Just be glad that a good portion of America is waking up to better beer which can only be a good thing for all of us.

No wonder! Snow Beer is only sold in China, but remember, with more than 1 billion people, their market is HUGE!

Not suprprised you have not heard about Skol from Brasil either! Heck, a lot of people don't know that the the American icon BUDWEISER belongs to a Brazilian-Belgian company! Skol is the top selling beer in Brazil and Brazilians drink about 1/3 of the beer produced in the world! :drunk:

Your stat is misleading. According to Wiki, it's the 3rd largest drinker of beer in total volume. It's ranked 36th based on per capita.

It doesn't drink 33% of the beer consumed in the world, it drinks the 3rd most. Quite a bit different.

Your stat is misleading. According to Wiki, it's the 3rd largest drinker of beer in total volume. It's ranked 36th based on per capita.

It doesn't drink 33% of the beer consumed in the world, it drinks the 3rd most. Quite a bit different.

Yeah I see what you mean now... nevertheless skol sells more than Bud, that was my point!

EDIT: I see the second place in total volume of sales is controversial after googling around. Some sources brings bud as second, some skol but none seems to be updated. I read a article in some magazine recently in the car dealer waiting room that claimed skol is number 2 followed by Budlight than regular bud and corona, but can't even remember what the magazine was.

beaksnbeer said:
My favorites are the ones that think the beer tastes great when chilled to the point they almost start to get ice in the bottles/cans, my old boss drinks Coos lite has his beer fridge set to 30* cans in the back are sometimes slushy

I enjoy a miller like this in hundred degree heat as a thirst quincher. Not as a good brew. I like the majority of my brews around 46-50 degrees

Light adjunct lagers like bud indeed taste a lot better when ice cold because it helps to mask the lack of body, accentuates the crispness, and creates that refreshing feeling.

Drinking a good crafted beer ice cold is inappropriate because it totally ruins appreciation of the aroma and malt complexity.

I've been drinking some serious berliner weisse in this hot weather. Now that is a quencher. I do wonder if they could catch on in place of the light lager.

the most refreshing beer i've had - although i have no commercial varieties to compare it to, just homebrewed... i've actually slammed some after a run. low alcohol, slightly tangy and tasty.

I think one needs to re-evaluate their priorities if they are concerned about the beer they are drinking in the company of good friends.

It has already been said: There is a time and place for every style of beer.

I generally don't drink BMC at home, but more often than not, I do at the bar.

I used to tell my strictly Bud drinking buddy Gonzo, that he had to drink it that cold to numb his taste buds. He passed on about two years ago and I visit him twice a year with a couple of tall boys. It's one of those times where I don't mind drinking Bud from a can. I just need to stay inconspicuous drinking in the cemetery, some people just wouldn't understand.

it's great for beer pong!

as far as homebrewing is concerned, i believe we are in a golden age - we have the world at our fingers and can brew just about anything we can think of...knowing this, i have a hard time getting upset about the preferences of the many, because in my home i drink what i want...that's not to say that i whenever i see someone reaching for a pack of BMC i don't cringe

Screw em, if they want to waste their money on piss in a can ,let them. They are cheap to satisfy at barbeques (quit giving them your good stuff). I personally can't do it, last time I had a bud I think my tongue damn near crawled out my mouth in search for a rape whistle for what I was doing to it. Oh well, having friends with terrible taste in beer is a pretty small problem to have.

BMC has it's place. My favorite is a delightful game where a can is lobbed through the air toward someone bent on impaling it upon a long spear.

It's not something I often choose to drink but on Fridays my dad comes over and we have a bmc-lite together. It's my favorite beer of the week. Since I've started brewing, I have enjoyed having something different on tap to offer him. He wasn't wild about the porter but the wits, ruby, rpa and belgian he has enjoyed. Sometimes it's the company that makes the beer.

Hugby is for people who can't play soccer... Ooppss I said it :D

Soccer!!!? the "noble" sport where your allowed to cry like a baby infront of millions of people, when someone steps on your foot(even if it just looked like he might have steped on his foot)??? and then in the full contact football you have there is the need to wear full body armer?......nancy pancy if you ask me!

DannyD said:
Soccer!!!? the "noble" sport where your allowed to cry like a baby infront of millions of people, when someone steps on your foot(even if it just looked like he might have steped on his foot)??? and then in the full contact football you have there is the need to wear full body armer?......nancy pancy if you ask me!

Yes, soccer, also the most popular sport in the whole world, not only in terms of audience but also by number of people playing, professionally or not! What else can I say... It's popularity speaks for itself!

The good old days. When the "good" beer was 17 bucks a 30 pack. I spend so much money on beer nowadays. Sometimes I wish I never knew any better. I try to drink BL now and I'd almost rather have water. I advise all BL drinkers to live it up. I never try to convert.

Light beer is OK. Many people I know never had anything else. I also experience the "you should sell this!" remarks. Once you show someone there are multiple types of beer, they can start to find different one's they really like. All beers have their places. Like spices in the cupboard.

When I got into homebrewing years ago, the culture was about the beer. I hate to think that now it's about feeling superior to other people.

When I got into homebrewing years ago, the culture was about the beer. I hate to think that now it's about feeling superior to other people.

1233495358_appl3456.gif

I think for the most part it still IS about the beer. I just think for the most part a lot of this is nothing more than a form of the over-zealousness of the recent convert. I made comments like that and believed stuff like that when I started on my beer loving obsession back in my 20's. And even later again when I started brewing.

I used to even believe all that stuff that crap that is now being promulgated as "fact" from the beerwars movie, which plays perfectly into this, and adds fuel to the "argument." You know, the whole whole, "the evil BMCpire use a ton of adjuncts to replace malt, cut costs and put out an "inferior product (an inferior product that few of us could actually ever master ;).)

Then I heard the basic brewing podcast with Maureen Ogle and read her amazing book
, which dispelled a lot of those myths that we "beer snobs" like to rub like butter on ourselves to feel superior to others. And really started to see how idiotic AND more importantly how historically inaccurate that really is.

y thing about all this is....The craft beer industry has existed since right around the time I turned 21, about 24 years ago...at least that's when I first noticed there were OTHER beers around besides BMC....there was snpa, and bell's and sam adams starting to pop up in a few stores in Metro Detroit at that time, as well as imports like Guiness, Bredore's and Double Diamond (from England- the first non bmc bottled beer I ever bought)...This stuff was first in my awareness in the mid to late 80's....

In fact when I was underaged I had my first taste of bud, spat it out and made my decision that beer sucked...and drank other things in the interum, mostly wine, and bourbon...in fact the first legal drink I ever bought was a bottle of calvados. Yet, since I loved to read, I always heard about beers like guiness, and other things...so I kept hearing that there was "good beer" out there.

Then I turned 21 and shortly after, like I said above, I began to see these OTHER beers around in bars and better beer/wine stores around my college campus. Plus the first micro brewery was in a resteraunt near campus as well.

I think my first non BMC beer I tried in a bar, was a guiness....And, as much as I think little of it NOW, it was a soul changing moment...I truly found out that there was something better than a budlight out there.

The point being..There has been alternative to BMC somewhat readily available since probably 1985...and more and more everyday.

Despite bmc's control over distribution craft, or imported beer has managed to be available to one degree or another for a lond time.

And now with commercials for Sam Adams, and even a show about dogfish head on one of the most popular cable channels...it really is NOT invisible anymore...if it ever was...And I don't believe it ever was.

Just like it was my choice to explore the world of beer for 24 years, it has been other folks choice to make Budlight the best selling beer on the planet, despite the fact that personally it makes me want to puke. Craft beers make other folks want to puke...It's just the way it is.

It's not AHB's "fault" that their product is the top seller...Nor is it totally a vast conspiracy to manipulate the marketplace as some of us beer snobs want to convince ourselves (though it does go on to a greater or lesser extent) But it's NOT the main...

The main reason is that more folks like those safe, (flavorless to me) light lager style of beer.

And despite a 10% loss of sales over time...it's still going to be the top seller in the market place...

Why? Because the majority of folks choose it over the vast array of other products out there. It simply reflects the relatively safe tastes of human beings...especially the american populace.

Maureen Ogle mentioned it in the basic brewing podcast when Ambitious Brew came out, in both the context of beer, and her next book on meat, the things that are mass consumed in western society be it beer, or food or booze, have the least amount of actual flavor; The light lager, the fast food hamburger and vodka for example. At the lowest end of the spectrum, be it bud light, or Mcdonalds, or absolute vodka- which are all hugely popular, none of them have complex flavor profiles, especially when you consider the "gourmet" opposite of those, a nice craft beer (even a craft lager) and burger from your favorite burger joint where they actually season the meat and use a higher fat content, and some of the higher end vodkas.

American society's tastes since WWII have kind of changed and splintered in two directions, you have Mass Culture and the culture that sprung craft beers, and foodie culture. Postwar America become a time of affluence, but it also became the time of "convenience food" instead of homecooking, the rise of frozen dinners and fast food (some folks would call that "pre-digested" food) which still goes on to this day. And the light lager is perfect for that. It's not "complex." It's sweet as opposed to bitter, it's light as opposed to heavy.

The irony of it has always been that even though the majority seems to favor "fast food" and "lite Beer" the postwar period also gave rise to "Chef/foodie Culture" and "Craft Beer" (actually it started as "imported" beer, but broadened in the 70's to 80's to the craft beer scene) all the troops overseas were exposed to the foods of the world (including Pizza, French cuisine and Chinese Food) and when they came back many of them had a hunger for those foods rather than boring American food and Kraft dinners, and they parlayed their GI bills into chef training and the rise of gourmet restaraunts and to a lesser extent craft beer. Before craft beer there were "imported" beers including Guinness, that managed to stay in the american market place more than likely sustained by folks who had tasted those things overseas. Not just during the war, but also in the re-building phases in the 50's and 60's on.

But, most people are afraid to try new things...so their horizens or limited...but there's also going to be folks, who DO try craft beers....and go back to BMC...because that's what they prefer....there's nothing wrong with them...it's just their choice....

People like what they like. If they like Bud Light, that's their ****ing perogative. Just like it is our choice to like the alternatives...that's just the way it is.

I no longer care who brews what or who drinks what. I think beer is beer, and this is the best time to drink/brew beer. There's plenty for everyone...those who like light lagers and those who like ales...we have plenty to choose from. Hell even in my chain grocery store, there's now more craft beer on the shelves than BMCs.

Nothing has changed in the world since you got into brewing.

The nature of people won't change. That attitude existed before you were aware of it, it exists now, and it will be here for someone else's displeasure when you are old enough not to care anymore (because you will understand that the cross-section of society really never changes, at least not in a way that is perceptible in a lifetime).

Enjoy your brewing. Try not to be a snob. I'll do the same. :mug:

Goaltender66 said:

What? It's totally still about the beer! It's the final product, the hand craft beer, that is superior to other beer, not the people. By "other beer" I mean BMC or, BMCG, as I like to use. Of course, as with everything else that is 1 or several levels above average, the snobs are inevitable. Heck, I am a BMCG snob myself, why not, if I currently think that they simply are rubbish. Just because I have drank BMCGs before, it does not mean I should praise them forever. People change, things change, we grow, we sharpen our taste, our culture, our philosophies. It's the very essence of progress!

I appreciate the thoughtful responses.

Being about the beer isn't the same as looking down on people who happen to enjoy something we may consider inferior. That shouldn't include applying our individual tastes on Budweiser...in other words, can't we be content to just say "hey, that beer isn't to my taste" without heaping scorn on people who do happen to enjoy it, for whatever reason? Can't I brew my own beer without making some grand socio-political statement? I used to be able to.

You know what this reminds me of? Gosford Park. If you haven't seen the movie, it's about the waning aristocracy of the 1900s. The screenwriter of the movie explains that tastes of the aristocracy are mainly learned affectations that exist to set them apart from the commoners. The rejection by the aristocracy of "common" tastes is what serves as a cultural signifier of elite status. Carrying this forward, the people most ostentatious about these affectations are the ones who usually have least claim to the aristocracy. In other words, people who are just barely "noble" or have very little wealth despite their class tend to overcompensate in their embrace of the affectation. On the other hand, those who are more secure in their statuses tend to be the least ostentatious about their tastes.

Point being that homebrewing ought not be perverted into a way to set ourselves apart as some kind of cognitive elite. The use of these tribal signifiers is already way too pervasive...whether it's using a Mac vs. a Windows machine, drinking Starbucks instead of McDonald's coffee, seeing some independent film over a Michael Bay flick, or so on. Because in my opinion, homebrewing is not nor should it be about renting status. I homebrew because I enjoy the hobby, not to gain entry into some elite club or polish my credentials as a member of some aristocracy.

In fact, so called "snobs" can say whatever they like, but at least the people upon whom they view as disgusting are authentic in arriving at their tastes. They like what they like without pretense.

Last item and I'll go back to lurking...we all benefit from having people take interest in homebrewing. I firmly believe that the homebrewing movement started in 1978 is responsible for the "craft beer" renaissance that many people are enjoying today. That's a good thing. Choice and variety are wonderful. But if a guy who happens to enjoy a Budweiser after mowing his lawn is thinking of getting started in homebrewing but is put off by the affected snobbery of the homebrew culture, how does that help anyone? The homebrew culture will have lost a potential asset, and the guy will look askance at craft beers as the playground of the self-styled elite.

Thanks.

I appreciate the thoughtful responses.

Being about the beer isn't the same as looking down on people who happen to enjoy something we may consider inferior. That shouldn't include applying our individual tastes on Budweiser...in other words, can't we be content to just say "hey, that beer isn't to my taste" without heaping scorn on people who do happen to enjoy it, for whatever reason? Can't I brew my own beer without making some grand socio-political statement? I used to be able to.

You know what this reminds me of? Gosford Park. If you haven't seen the movie, it's about the waning aristocracy of the 1900s. The screenwriter of the movie explains that tastes of the aristocracy are mainly learned affectations that exist to set them apart from the commoners. The rejection by the aristocracy of "common" tastes is what serves as a cultural signifier of elite status. Carrying this forward, the people most ostentatious about these affectations are the ones who usually have least claim to the aristocracy. In other words, people who are just barely "noble" or have very little wealth despite their class tend to overcompensate in their embrace of the affectation. On the other hand, those who are more secure in their statuses tend to be the least ostentations about their tastes.

Point being that homebrewing ought not be perverted into a way to set ourselves apart as some kind of cognitive elite. The use of these tribal signifiers is already way too pervasive...whether it's using a Mac vs. a Windows machine, drinking Starbucks instead of McDonald's coffee, seeing some independent film over a Michael Bay flick, or so on. Because in my opinion, homebrewing is not nor should it be about renting status. I homebrew because I enjoy the hobby, not to gain entry into some elite club or polish my credentials as a member of some aristocracy.

In fact, so called "snobs" can say whatever they like, but at least the people upon whom they view as disgusting are authentic in arriving at their tastes. They like what they like without pretense.

Last item and I'll go back to lurking...we all benefit from having people take interest in homebrewing. I firmly believe that the homebrewing movement started in 1978 is responsible for the "craft beer" renaissance that many people are enjoying today. That's a good thing. Choice and variety are wonderful. But if a guy who happens to enjoy a Budweiser after mowing his lawn is thinking of getting started in homebrewing is put off by the affected snobbery of the homebrew culture, how does that help anyone? The homebrew culture will have lost a potential asset, and the guy will look askance at craft beers as the playground of the self-styled elite.

Thanks.

Nice insightful post. Unfortunately, the thing you are hoping we can avoid is akin to gravity or friction. It would be nice if it didn't exist, but it does, and it's not going away.

I'm just happy they brought back the "Original 70's recipe" Schlitz, that stuff is the bees knees!!

Seriously I can't remember ANY beer I've ever tasted that I didn't like . . . . . .well except for my corn stalk ale (2007 vintage) still nursing on those:drunk:.

I'm just happy they brought back the "Original 70's recipe" Schlitz, that stuff is the bees knees!!

Seriously I can't remember any beer I've ever tasted that I didn't like . . . . . .well except for my corn stalk ale (2007 vintage) still nursing on those:drunk:.

Yeah the 70's era schlitz is a good watching football beer.

Me personally, I tend to judge a beer on how technologically advanced the can is...

If a can can't tell me the beer is "super cold", I don't want it.

Laikacosmonaut said:
Me personally, I tend to judge a beer on how technologically advanced the can is...

If a can can't tell me the beer is "super cold", I don't want it.

Haha I lolled pretty hard at that

We are all beersnobs on here, myself included.

But honestly, a homebrewer can't make a decent beer as light as Bud Light or Miller Light (or at least not without a chemistry background, much of their grain bill is not barley, but rice and what ever else is cheap on the at the time).

You do have to give those products credit, they do provide a consistent product, even though they are produced in hundreds of different locations and that their recipes are different depending on what's going on in the grain market at the time.

So if it's free, or on the rare occasion that I just want something that tastes like beer, but doesn't fill me up (sad music going on in my head "taste great, less filling"), then I drink a Miller Lite.

Of course I tried a Bud 55 a few months ago out of curiosity. I can say definitively that that stuff is not beer. It is beer flavored carbonated water, with a slight amount of alcohol in it.

So if it's free, or on the rare occasion that I just want something that tastes like beer, but doesn't fill me up (sad music going on in my head "taste great, less filling"), then I drink a Miller Lite.

Agreed. Of all the big brew beers Miller Lite is the most drinkable

But honestly, a homebrewer can't make a decent beer as light as Bud Light or Miller Light (or at least not without a chemistry background, much of their grain bill is not barley, but rice and what ever else is cheap on the at the time).

This is exactly that elitist ignorance I'm talking about. They aren't using rice and corn because it is cheap, but because it is necessary to make that style of beer. You can't make a light lager without adding an adjunct like that to provide fermentables and thin out the body to achieve that light fruitiness.

It wasn't done HISTORICALLY to cut costs, NOR is it done that way today to cut costs. It's done because that's what's needed to make that style of beer.

just like you add corn in a cream ale, or you add sugar in a beligian beer. We don't ***** about that do we? We understand it is necessary to get the right alcoholic content and the body....

Try to make a light lager without any rice or corn. :rolleyes:

Maybe you need to learn some facts about their beer, and WHY they use adjuncts to begin with.

The whole history of the light lager is the American populace's (not the brewer's) desire to have a lighter beer to drink, which forced the German brewers to look at adding adjuncts like corn and rice...not as the popular homebrewer's myth has been to make money by peddling and "inferior commercial product" by adding adjuncts, but in order to come up with a style of beer that the American people wanted.

Maureen Ogle proved that in Ambitious Brew it actually made the cost of a bottle of Budweiser cost around 17.00/bottle in today's dollars. Gee I've paid 17 dollars for a bomber of beer before...not too much difference there, eh?

When AH released Budweiser with it's corn and rice adjuncts in the 1860's it was the most expensive beer out there; a single bottle retailed for $1.00 (what would equal in today's Dollars for $17.00) this was quite difference when a schooner of beer usually cost a nickel.

This is the part that blows the "cost cutting" argument out of the water. In order to use those adjuncts you have to process them separately from the rest of the mash, and then add it to the mash. You either have to do a cereal mash to pr-gelatinize them or you have to roll them with heat to make them flaked...either way, besides the labor and energy involved to grow and harvest those plants, you expend labor and energy to make them usuable. You have to boil them in a cereal mash. That's another couple hours of labor and energy involved in the cost of the product.

It wasn't done to save money, it was done because heavy beers (both english style Ales and the heavier Bavarian malty beers) were not being drunk by American consumers any more. Beer initally was seen around the world as food (some even called it liquid bread), but since America, even in the 1800's was a prosperous nation compared to the rest of the world, and americans ate meat with nearly every meal, heavy beers had fallen out of favor...

And American 6-row Barley just made for heavy, hazy beer.

The American populace ate it up!

The market WAS in a sense, craving light lagers...The German brewers didn't want to make the switch. They were perfectly happy with their bocks and all those other great heavy German Beers. But the rest of us weren't into it.

Bush and other German Brewers started looking at other styles of Beers, and came upon Karl Balling and Anton Schwartz's work at the Prague Polytechnic Institute with the Brewers in Bohemia who when faced with a grain shortage started using adjuncts, which produced the pils which was light, sparkly and fruity tasting...just the thing for American tastebuds.

So the brewers brought Schwartz to America where he went to work for American Brewer Magazine writing articles and technical monographs, teaching American brewers how to use Rice and Corn...

The sad moral of the story is....The big corporate brewers did not foist tasteless adjunct laced fizzy water on us, like the popular mythology all of us beersnobs like to take to bed with us to feel all warm and elitist....it was done because our American ancestors wanted it. Or to save money.

Listen to this from Basic Brewing;

November 30, 2006 - Ambitious Brew Part One
We learn about the history of beer in the USA from Maureen Ogle, author of "Ambitious Brew - The Story of American Beer." Part one takes us from the Pilgrims to Prohibition.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr11-30-06.mp3

December 7, 2006 - Ambitious Brew Part Two
We continue our discussion about the history of beer in the USA with Maureen Ogle, author of "Ambitious Brew - The Story of American Beer." Part two takes us from Prohibition to the present day.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr12-07-06.mp3

Why don't you take the time to actually learn something about the style you hate before making comments like that. You act like it's something different from any other beer we brew...It's not...it's done with a combination of grain, and hops and water and yeasts and legitimate brewing ingredients like rice and corn....just like an ipa with some sugar in it, or a cream ale with corn, or what have you....It's not a mutant artificial chemical concontion any more than any of the other styles are.

How come no one accuses the person making a cream ale or kentucky common of making an inferior beer. And are Belgians lesser beers because you add candi sugar???

It just happens to be something that whether you admit it or not you think less of...but in reality it's just any other beer.

cg17 said:
Question about Budmilloors....Are they brewed from extracts?

They definitively brew All Grain, but with a large percentage of adjuncts. In the US I believe they use corn syrup a lot because if you smell a not so cold BMC, you can smell the corn. Flaked rice is probably used too for that crispness so characteristic. In other parts of the world they probably use whatever syrup is cheaper, like sugar cane in Brazil for instance.

Back