Intermittent gas parts advice for Brutus style system?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worldzfree

Reaction score
So I am sloooowwlllyy building out my parts list for a Brewtroller controlled gas-fired Brutus system. I have decided that I will be running LP for now with the option to switch to NG down the road. I am still trying to figure out the whole world of gas and pieces parts as I am deviating enough from the Lonnie Brutus plans I have that I am confusing myself. Ha! After reading through countless threads I am to the point where I have a little better idea of where I am going but still have questions. Below is my parts list for the gas side of things that I "think" I need. I am interested in all of your opinions about what I might be missing or need to change. They are:

Burner Control
  • Pilot Burner for natural gas with a BCR-18 orifice Q345A1313 Honeywell PEXSUPPLY.COM
  • Intermittent Pilot Control S8610U3009 Honeywell PEXSUPPLY.COM
  • Standard Dual Intermittent Pilot Gas Valve VR8204A2076 Honeywell PEXSUPPLY.COM
  • I am not sure if I need this setup for all three burners or not really for the BK. Thoughts?
  • I know I need a regulator. Seems like the Marshall 290 series are popular. Thoughts?
  • I am assuming I will need a 75-100 transformer depending on how many Honeywells I need. Any recommended ones?
  • What am I missing?

Burners
  • I am assuming low pressure burners. Banjos or Hurricanes or something else?
  • Am I correct in reading that Banjos need an adapter for low pressure or need to be drilled out but the Hurricanes are good to go?
  • Same size for all three or different sizes for different vessels?

I appreciate all your time and will update this original post with what I figure out in the end so as to help make someone else's life a little easier. Cheers!

So I am sloooowwlllyy building out my parts list for a Brewtroller controlled gas-fired Brutus system. I have decided that I will be running LP for now with the option to switch to NG down the road. I am still trying to figure out the whole world of gas and pieces parts as I am deviating enough from the Lonnie Brutus plans I have that I am confusing myself. Ha! After reading through countless threads I am to the point where I have a little better idea of where I am going but still have questions. Below is my parts list for the gas side of things that I "think" I need. I am interested in all of your opinions about what I might be missing or need to change. They are:

Burner Control
  • Pilot Burner for natural gas with a BCR-18 orifice Q345A1313 Honeywell PEXSUPPLY.COM
  • Intermittent Pilot Control S8610U3009 Honeywell PEXSUPPLY.COM
  • Standard Dual Intermittent Pilot Gas Valve VR8204A2076 Honeywell PEXSUPPLY.COM
  • I am not sure if I need this setup for all three burners or not really for the BK. Thoughts?
  • I know I need a regulator. Seems like the Marshall 290 series are popular. Thoughts?
  • I am assuming I will need a 75-100 transformer depending on how many Honeywells I need. Any recommended ones?
  • What am I missing?

Burners
  • I am assuming low pressure burners. Banjos or Hurricanes or something else?
  • Am I correct in reading that Banjos need an adapter for low pressure or need to be drilled out but the Hurricanes are good to go?
  • Same size for all three or different sizes for different vessels?

I appreciate all your time and will update this original post with what I figure out in the end so as to help make someone else's life a little easier. Cheers!

A word of warning for you. If you are going to use a Brewtroller or BCS-460 for that matter you will have to be very careful with EMI. The intermittent pilot valves have spark generation capability to relight the pilot if it goes out. That spark generation capability can generate lots of EMI. I would go with standing pilot valves with the safety thermocouples. You will also need a 24 volt transformer at about 100 VA. I heat the HLT for precise strike water and adjust the boil. I use a RIMS so I do not have a burner under my MLT.

A word of warning for you. If you are going to use a Brewtroller or BCS-460 for that matter you will have to be very careful with EMI. The intermittent pilot valves have spark generation capability to relight the pilot if it goes out. That spark generation capability can generate lots of EMI.

from what i understand the newer BT 4 was designed to address the EMI issues. i was going to model a breakout box design like the Blackheart Brewing guys did. i haven't asked them directly but it sounds like the combination of those two addressed the interference issues. i may be misinformed.

from what i understand the newer BT 4 was designed to address the EMI issues. i was going to model a breakout box design like the Blackheart Brewing guys did. i haven't asked them directly but it sounds like the combination of those two addressed the interference issues. i may be misinformed.

I would put an emi filter on the lines that go to the S8610U and keep the brewtroller as far away from the S8610U as possible. Also observe good grounding techniques.

I'll definitely do that. Can you think of anything else I am missing from the burner control parts I listed?

I'll definitely do that. Can you think of anything else I am missing from the burner control parts I listed?

You need a Honeywell S8610U controller for the intermittent pilot and you need the high voltage lead between the S8610U and the Pilot Burner.

Gas_Control.jpg

Is the high voltage lead something that can be bought pre-made or is it some type of DYI jobby?

Thanks for the answers on the Burner control side of things. I have some answers but still trying to figure out the rest. Specifically,

Burner Control
  • Does anyone have an opinion about wiring up intermittent Honeywells to the BK as well? Is that just a waste of money or just worth it having the level of future automation on the BK as well?

Burners
  • I have decided to go with 3 hurricane burners. From what I understand, I need to either drill them out or just buy an orifice adapter if I want to switch between LP and NG. Do I have that right?
  • I was thinking two 10" burners (HLT and BK) and one 6" burner (MLT). Any thoughts on that? The agrisupply link for the 6" burner says it will not work with NG. Is there an adapter I can use or is the only option to make the permanent mod of drilling to make it work with NG? I want the flexibility of using LP or NG down the road.

Thanks again for any type of feedback. This is all starting to make more sense.

Thanks for the answers on the Burner control side of things. I have some answers but still trying to figure out the rest. Specifically,

Burner Control
  • Does anyone have an opinion about wiring up intermittent Honeywells to the BK as well? Is that just a waste of money or just worth it having the level of future automation on the BK as well?

You could use a PID to control the % of power to control your boil. I am not sure it's worth it.

Latest posts

Back