Type of copper for my IC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshuaWhite5522

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm about to build my IC and was looking at copper tube. Now I have a question, does anyone know what the difference between type L and M copper tube, and is there one that would be better for the chiller?

From what I found on Widipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tap_water
the type refers only to the thickness of the wall, and it's a difference in the hundredths of an inch. So I would say that it probably isn't going to make that much of a difference since there's no pressure being built up in a chiller.

I just started brewing yesterday, but I made a chiller earlier this week after seeing one in the homebrew store for $75. I recognized all the parts as easily attainable at Home Depot, and after a $22 trip there (including tax) and about 15 minutes, I had a chiller of my own, comparable to the one in the store. I used the 10' length and worried about that a bit, until I saw that there was only about 2 gallons of brew left after boiling my first batch (I started with 3 gals). The chiller worked great, bringing the temp from boiling down to about 100 in about 10 minutes tops. Then I got impatient and went ahead and poured it into the fermenter, added cold water to the 5 gal mark and did an ice water bath. I should have kept cooling it another 5 minutes with the chiller and it would have probably done what took another hour otherwise to finish cooling it. :eek:

Anyway, now that I've rambled, I don't think it will matter for a chiller. Good luck!
:mug:

Type L has thicker walls than M (0.040" vs 0.028" for 1/2" copper). Either one will work fine.

Back