Bucket Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have this bright(stupid) idea that I'm gonna run a bunch of half-batches while I wait for my AG batches to ferment. I'm looking to do stovetop batches, and will obviously need a bunch of cheap, small fermenters.

Looking at most HB shops, 5 gallon buckets with grometted lids run upwards of 15$ a piece, plus shipping costs.

This site: http://nelsonpaint.com/Merchant2/me...D&Product_Code=0729E&Category_Code=Containers has five gallon, food grade buckets on the cheap, but I'm not sure if they're #1 or #2 plastic.

I'm more of a DIY kinda guy, so I'm ok drilling and grometing every bucket I buy. I'd even be happy with 3 gallon glass jugs, but it's just impossible to find them for a reasonable price when you include shipping. There's nothing local close by either. Has anyone used these buckets before or have a suggested cheap alternative?

I use a home depot or lowes bucket and drill a hole in the lid for a stopper and airlock. Paddle bits can give a bit of an uneven hole so a forstner might be better. They are HDPE and have been fine for me for a couple years.

I did find some 2gal HDPE buckets at the same places but don't recall if they had a gasket in the lid, I think they may have.

Some folks go to bakeries and get the frosting buckets and clean them well and seem very pleased with them.

You can also check out the threads discussing the 5gal water bottle, positives and negatives regarding oxygen and scratches.

Good luck

Wow, I heard the Home Depot buckets were #7 plastic and not good for fermenting, I didn't know they also sold HDPE. If it's that easy, I might just do that. Do your buckets have a number on the bottom by chance?

Wow, I heard the Home Depot buckets were #7 plastic and not good for fermenting, I didn't know they also sold HDPE. If it's that easy, I might just do that. Do your buckets have a number on the bottom by chance?

I don't know about the number and hopefully I have not been increasing my odds of cancer. I'll check when I get home and let you know what the number is if it's there. I can confirm the HDPE I checked that out but now can't remember all the reasons why...could it be the number....

I believe they are #2.

Some people believe there is a risk that the color from the plastic will leach into the beer and produce off flavors/colors. I don't know how much I believe that, but that's up to you.

just emptied out my homer bucket from home depot and remembered this thread. they are #2 hdpe.

I confirmed mine is also HDPE #2 with a gasket in the lid. I don't remember reading the bucket thread above but it's now on the list to read tonight. Good luck.

You may be able to check with local bakeries. The super walmart by my house receives icing in white buckets. They used to give them away if you asked nicely. Don't know if that policy has changed.

Back