Bottle sediment???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilldeath

Reaction score
So I know about bottle sediment and what not, but my question is in reguards to cold storing the beer. I don't have enough room to cold store a batch in the fridge so I leave it in the basement. My question is, knowing that cold storing your beer in the fridge will allow more yeast to bottom out and compact on the bottom, if I was to cold store half my bottles for 2 weeks and then switch the others out how would this effect my beer?

I've heard that chilling, going to room temp, then chilling again can cause off flavors/head retention problems in beer do to the way CO2 is absorbed. Is this an ale or a lager? If it's an ale I wouldn't even worry about cold storage. Just make sure your beer is refrigerated for at least 24 hours before drinking to once again, allow for that Co2 to be absorbed (ultimately helps with head retention and mouth feel). You might want to look around in the forums for some more information. good luck! :)

Don't worry about cold storing then pulling them out and warm storing them until you want to chill them to drink. Just leave them at carbonation/room temp and put just the beer you want to drink in the fridge a couple day before. THe stuff that you leave at room temp will continue to flocculate out, and then chilling them to drink (preferably for a week or more) will clear them even more.

You don't need to do it twice and risk any impact from temp shifts.

Back