Which hops to buy in bulk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoebag22

Reaction score
I'm looking at a bulk hop buy and need to pare down my selection.
I am looking purchase 4 out of these 6, so I need the more versatile of this group:

williamette
cluster
us golding
cascade
centennial
hallartau

I normally make cream ale, stout, IPA, pale ale and hefe...
please help me narrow the list.

What hops do you use? Other than IPA and pale ale (assuming you mean the American sort), you mentioned some very different beers. You're probably good with striking the Cluster, unless you just love them. You also can choose between the Centennial and the Cascades.

You can probably choose between the U.S. Goldings and the Willamette, as those work well in both Cream Ales and stouts. If you must strike one of the American hops, go with either Centennial or Cascade for your American ales (Centennial has a higher AA%, so you may get more bang for your buck, there). Hallertauer is good for the Hefeweizen and any other continental European beer, so keep it.

Cluster is okay for hop aroma, but it has been more used as a bittering hop with excellent storage. You may want to go with a higher AA% hop, though, for bittering.

TL

1) You need the Hallertauer for your Hefes and any German lagers.
2) You need either the Cascade or Centennial for APAs & IPAs.
3) You need either Willamette or Goldings for anything British in style.

The fourth one can be the second one from one of the categories above or Cluster. Cluster are one of the original US hop strains and are good for bittering & would work great for Cream Ales. In fact, I'd bet that they were the hop for many old school cream ales. I know that $6.95 price on HopsDirect is hard to turn down.

Back