Filtering beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMoose

Reaction score
Good day Y'all
My buddy has Buon Vino mini jet whine filter. Does anyone know if it is possible to use it to filter beer before kegging it?
Thanks for any help

Sure. There are countless micros and brewpubs using plate-and-frame filters exactly like the Buon Vino. The only difference is scale.

Some hints:

Decide how much polish you want. I wouldn't try to go sterile; a 5-micron pad set will get you excellent clarity, even though that's technically a rough polish.

It helps if the beer is fined before trying to filter it. The clearer the beer, the easier the filtration. Try gelatine and/or isinglass.

Cold-crash the beer. That also precipitates stuff that causes haze - and that's the stuff that'll clog your filter. The colder the beer, the easier the filtration.

Make sure you sanitize everything thoroughly. Your buddy should know how to do that.

Make sure you have extra pads on hand. If you clog halfway through the run, you'll need to replace the pads.

Purge the receiving keg with CO2 before pushing the filtered beer into it.

If you've started with cold beer, keep it cold. Makes carbonation a hell of a lot faster.

If you've got further questions, let me know.

Bob

Thanks for the help.
Buddy gave me half a dozen Number 2 pads. They don't say a micron size but seem to come in 3 sizes with #3 being the finest. Maybe I will give it a whirl with that and see what happens.
If I purge keg with CO2 am I understanding to leave it sealed as I add the beer? (am new to kegging, this is first time) or do I purge and then add beer through large lid on top?

Back