No lid bucket fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigjuicy

Reaction score
So yesterday i kind of ran over the lid for one of my plastic fermenters (don't) ask. Is it possible for me to use saran wrap to cover my fermentor. I don't feel like getting a lid since i am getting a glass car boy in a couple of weeks. Any suggestions on how to cover a bucket fermentor without a lid?

Find something hard and flat like a small piece of plywood or cookie sheet or cutting board. Anything larger then the mouth of the bucket. Sanitize one side. Then sanitize a kitchen or terrycloth towel with starsan, iodophor or dilute bleach solution. Again large enough to cover the bucket opening. If a bit of starsan gets in the bucket no problem, otherwise be careful.

Stretch the cloth across the top of bucket and pin it down with your flat thing. As fermentation starts you will get a positive Co2 pressure in the bucket that will keep bad stuff out. The cloth will act as somewhat of a filter.

Actually a lot of bucket fermenters just put the lid on loosely in a similar way, just because the lids can be tough to get off if snapped on. As long as you got gasses going out not much is going to get in.

What's the difference between a piece of saran wrap or something flat covered with terrycloth? I don't think you have to get that elaborate with covering the opening of a bucket.

What's the difference between a piece of saran wrap or something flat covered with terrycloth? I don't think you have to get that elaborate with covering the opening of a bucket.

Even in rural Missouri we don't consider a scrap of plywood and a rag "elaborate".

I'd want something a little wider & stouter than saran wrap if I was going to let the thing sit around for a full fermentation. Critters would fall right on through saran wrap. In a pinch I'd grab a couple of those blue Wal-Mart bags as they blew through the yard, until I had time to find a board and a rag.

im with you guys on the just cover it thing. make sure nothing can fall in, you could even just use a sterilized strip of aluminum foil, sterilize the inside of it, cover and walk away. as long as nothing crushes the foil into the fermenter you should be ok. the plywood could even go on top of it to be safe.

Some have used tinfoil, saran wrap, any number of things work great. SOme folks who have arthritus use a piece of plexiglass on top of their buckets that way they can actually see the krausen and stuff. As long as it's covered and excess co2 can get out, then you'll be fine.

I just pictured using too much aluminun foil, and attaching it a little too tightly and having your fermenter look like a 5 gallon can of Jiffy-Pop popcorn...

I just pictured using too much aluminun foil, and attaching it a little too tightly and having your fermenter look like a 5 gallon can of Jiffy-Pop popcorn...

doubt that would happen, but yes, that would be very funny :D

I like the plexiglass / acrylic idea for buckets I actually would like to see whats going on hence why using a Better bottle. I have no reason not to use a bucket other than I can't see whats happening.

so plexiglass plus a ratchet strap and tubing for blow off and you've got yourself a nice little viewing hole.

-=Jason=-

That would be cool, like you could prefold/shape the tinfoil so that as the co2 builds up it balloons open like that. If they were one the market I would buy them....maybe if they had elastic like those shower caps?

Hey I wonder if a shower cap would work as a bucket cover???

I have used saran wrap, aluminum foil, a towel, a cutting board, etc.

For saran wrap and towels, I like to stick a big rubber band around the outside of the bucket to keep it taut, as it can sag under its own weight on a 7 gallon bucket top and end up getting all gunky with krausen. If it does, just swap it out with clean saran wrap.

Also keep it out of any direct sunlight.

Back