Dunkelweizen help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayfro21

Reaction score
I remember buying two weizen-type beers a while back from BevMo just randomly picking bottles, and now that I think about it they might have been by Franziskaner. Anyways, I really liked the darker of the two, which I assume was a dunkelweizen. With that in my mind, what makes a dunkelweizen? Is it basically a hefeweizen with maybe a 1/2 lb of chocolate for a little roast? I ask because I am planning on brewing a Hefe in a few weeks, and would love to just throw a dunkelweizen on the yeast cake. So is it basically 65% wheat/ 30% Pilsner and ~5% chocolate, with something like hallertaur at 60 min for 10-15 IBUs?

Any help? Thanks!

Jason

if you're talking a 5 gallon batch, a half pound is really too much if you want to stick to style. i usually just use about ¼ pound. i also use munich instead of pils to make it a little maltier.

hallertau is good, tettnanger is my fav.
:mug:

edit: I also only use about 0.75 oz of hops, which should put you right within that range depending on the AA%.

Back