How long to leave beer on pumpkin in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cincy17

Reaction score
I have a pumpkin ale sitting in primary right now that I brewed on 9/17. The OG was 1.060 and I just took a hydro sample last night after 8 days and SG was 1.014, and actually tasted really good already.

It was a partial mash and I used 60oz of canned pumpkin in the mash, and a lot of that puree made its way through my grain bag and then into the fermenter after the boil.

I should have my kegging setup together in about a month, and wanted this beer to be the first one kegged. So, my question is if the beer should be okay sitting on the pumpkin trub in the bottom of my fermenter for another month, or should I rack it to a secondary to get if off the pumpkin and let it clear up more and let it sit there, or just forget about this one getting kegged and bottle it in a couple weeks? I couldn't find any threads talking about it, but I'm just worried about possibly getting strong vegetable flavors out of the pumpkin if it sits on it for too long.

I plan on putting a muslin bag over the siphon either when it goes into a secondary or into the keg (or both) so I can maximize the amount of beer out of this batch because I'm greedy :cool:

Just for anyone's future reference, I ended up racking to a secondary after 2 weeks to help it clear up. I left it in the secondary for another 2-3 weeks at room temp and a lot more trub dropped out. Just kegged it this weekend and it tasted excellent, just the right amount of spice, and a hint of pumpkin/vegetable flavor. It's also almost completely clear, which I didn't expect with that amount of pumpkin and not being able to cold crash it. Might get some chill haze, but I'm perfectly ok with that.

Here is the recipe:
Partial Mash Pumpkin
Estimated OG (65% efficiency): 1.067
Actual OG: 1.060
FG: 1.014
IBU: 22.6

2lb 2-Row
10 oz Brown Malt
10 oz Crystal 60L
6lb Pilsner LME (2lb at beginning of boil and 4lb added with 15min left)
1lb light brown sugar
1.5oz Hallertauer 40min
1.5oz Hallertauer 5min
2Tbs Kroger brand pumpkin pie spice
60oz canned Libby's pumpkin.
1 Packet S-04

Mashed pumpkin and grain at 153 for an hour and tea-bag sparged at 170 for 10 minutes. This was my first partial mash and my efficiency ended up terribly low (it's gotten much better in recent brews). When I brew this again, I will try to keep the mash temp lower, probably around 150.

Back