Am I just being paranoid, or is it right to question this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmcapone

Reaction score
So I just called up my City's water board today and this is what the guy told me the levels were.

Ca: 57
Mg: 48
Na: 42
CaCo3: 103
SO4: 0
Cl: 37
pH: 8.9

I was pretty shocked when he told me the sulfate was 0. I asked him about it and he said that they aren't the ones that do the testing but that is what it was reported as.

Does this seem right?

I think you are right to arch an eyebrow but it is possible. A member of my brewing club lives about 7 miles from me as the crow flies. My well runs 27 on the sulfate. He sent me a Ward Labs report that said his well read 0. I said bring some over and have a beer while we test it. Sure enough, it came up 0 so there you are. Consider yourself lucky if you like noble hops.

hmm, I'm actually wondering now if he was referring to the sulfur level. Even still though, I guess it would be very minimal (if not 0) if you just multiply it by 3 to get the sulfate.

Ward Labs is the only organization of which I am aware that reports sulfate 'as sulfur'. Nevertheless 3*0 = 0 and 0/3 = 0 so it doesn't matter how it is being reported.

Back