Chicago Homebrewers Yeast Bank Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. Ghoti has a greed to work his magic and talents in creating a yeast database like the one he created for our group buys.

So I'm asking you guys and gals what fields, information, features should we include? The following is a start and is in no particular order. Feel free to add to the list.

Manufacturer
Strain #
Description
Generations
Form of storage
User name
lives in / works in
harvested from beer style

Probably a different data set but it would be nice to get an idea where donors are located to help with distribution. A yeast network of sorts... lives in / works in type fields

I would say with the yeast strain that your going to give to someone else if it is older than first generation that the person tells in the description what style of beer they have used the yeast in. I have certain types of yeast that are a slury and they have an intense hop presence from whole hopping some of my IIPAS.

I love using the edemire flasks but I only have 1 1000ml and 1 2000ml flask. They normaly cost somewhere around 15-20 bucks each do any of you guys know where to find an some afforadable flasks, I would be more than willing to purchase more than 1.

I love using the edemire flasks but I only have 1 1000ml and 1 2000ml flask. They normaly cost somewhere around 15-20 bucks each do any of you guys know where to find an some afforadable flasks, I would be more than willing to purchase more than 1.

I'm kind of confused. How do you use a flask for washed yeast? Thanks.

Im sorry I didn't specifiy the use of the flasks. The flasks are used for when I do my starters. I was just courious if anyone knows an afforadable place to get Erenmier flasks.

scotty77 said:
Im sorry I didn't specifiy the use of the flasks. The flasks are used for when I do my starters. I was just courious if anyone knows an afforadable place to get Erenmier flasks.

Ask wegz15. He sold a few during the last group buy.

I have slants of Wyeast 3522 and 1056 that I could trade at the collection for the group buy. This was my first attempt at making them but I think they turned out OK. I might have a few others depending on how soon it happens.

If I brew what I have planned in the next week, I should also be able to bring some top-cropped Wyeast 1318 and 1469 to the collection for the group buy.

I have some recently used WLP 300, WLP 001, WLP I can bring to the group buy for the collection also.

I have a yeast harvesting question for you guys, I love certain types of german wiezes and they of course always have yeast on the bottom of the bottles that can be harvested. I have never tried to harvest any but would it be feasable of me doing such and getting a usable product out of such a small amount of yeast?

i dont participate in current group buy (but was watching closely, nice job on ordering tons of grain in the flash :) but i have few strains for sharing, on top of my head i have at least 1 vial of 3724, 3711, 3787, 1214, and cultures from orval (after some experimentation i recommend pitching it in 2ndary and age for few months) + some more but older, anyway if someone wants to swing by and pick it up from my place (cicro and 63rd st on the south side) im happy to share

Flasks...2L $20, 1L $10, anything smaller $5. I'll have to check of I have any bigger left.

harvesting can be done from a bottle. I used 3 bottle dregs from two hearted and made a clone. I started small (like 500mL),and then went into a 2L. I have a scope so I counted it. If you have questions feel free to pm me

Subscribed!

Also I see most of you folks have wyeast strains. Any aversion to white labs? It's all I can get (readily that is). I used to wash but haven't done so for a while, so if you folks want some white labs I'll start washing again.

ylpaul2000 said:
Subscribed!

Also I see most of you folks have wyeast strains. Any aversion to white labs? It's all I can get (readily that is). I used to wash but haven't done so for a while, so if you folks want some white labs I'll start washing again.

I think people just get what is available at their LHBS. White Labs is fine too. Many of the Wyeast and White Labs come from the same strains.

I tend to have an easier time getting wyeast. Its a drive to crystal lake, Milwaukee, or Two Brothers Tap House for me to get White Labs. Can never open the vial without spraying yeast everywhere. So really slanting/washing WL would be very helpful for the strains without direct overlap.

The wife loves 530 in her Belgian though.

I've never used a White Labs vial. I usually buy yeast from the Brew and Grow on Morgan, and they don't have many White Labs strains. I went up to Brew Camp a few weeks ago and they had a bigger selection, so I may try some White Labs strains (and make slants) soon.

I'm pretty sure my lhbs doesn't carry white labs. I've made slants following the sticky. its easy.

I've got a lot of ECY in the fridge I haven't brewed with or slanted yet. I'll have to look when I get home, but I know there are at least 6 or 7 vials. Belgian white, Trappist, kolsch, single strain saison, bugfarm and flanders red are there for sure. I don't know if there are any micro-biologists in the group capable of examining the bugfarm and flanders red to see what the proportions are to try to replicate those. I do know that splitting them into multiple starters does not lead to the same results as using the whole bottle as directed.

I can slant any of the single strain yeasts if people are interested. The kolsch makes the best spotted cow clone I've had, much better that using wyeast kolsch.

I've got a lot of ECY in the fridge I haven't brewed with or slanted yet. I'll have to look when I get home, but I know there are at least 6 or 7 vials. Belgian white, Trappist, kolsch, single strain saison, bugfarm and flanders red are there for sure. I don't know if there are any micro-biologists in the group capable of examining the bugfarm and flanders red to see what the proportions are to try to replicate those. I do know that splitting them into multiple starters does not lead to the same results as using the whole bottle as directed.

I can slant any of the single strain yeasts if people are interested. The kolsch makes the best spotted cow clone I've had, much better that using wyeast kolsch.

I believe dbals is a biologist plays with yeast. I know that wegz15 and Polboy are active slanters as well. Maybe they can chime in.

I'm not sure on the question? are your asking if I can determine the proportions? I have a scope and a cell counting chamber. If they appear different under the scope I can.

Back