What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm brewing beer today! don't have any yeast, so i'm just going to pour some cool wort into a freshly empty/unrinsed keg and dump the dregs into the fermenter!

Wish me luck! had a couple accidentally sour beers. but this keg was a clean ferment.

Brewing a smash 90 min double IPA with honey, oranges, Cascade, and two row at a buddies house. Having some of his HB stout.
IMG_20181202_154129096.jpeg
1543783468272~2.jpeg

Put a half pound of CO2 pressure on fermenter.
Obtained gravity sample.
Measured and drank gravity sample.
Dumped hops from fermenter.
Strained dumpings with kitchen strainer and put liquid into a soda bottle with carbonator cap.
Purged O2 from soda bottle.
Carbonated soda bottle with 30 psi for future enjoyment.
Put soda bottle in fermentation chamber.
Drank carbed dumpings from two days ago. Was delicious.
Set BrewPi to a beer constant of 33.8F for crash.
Cleaned blowoff hose and blowoff container.

Vacuum sealed my hops from bags that were already opened. Somehow managed to poke myself in the eye with one of bags. Since I'm already working on 2019 recipes, I was able to split some stuff up into batch sized bags, not just the usual 1 or 2oz. Also found out I got more hops than advertised in all the bags I dealt with; including a whopping 6oz extra in one :rock:

Down to my last pound of 2016 Jarrylo hops, so checked out Yakima Valley Hops for a deal on something. Got excited when they had 1lb bags of Chinook 2017 for 7.99.

56.76 with shipping for 5 lbs of chinook, yeah! i love chinook!

View attachment 600061

I bought a new octoberfest beer stein today! (the big oone on the right) figured i'd take a pic, of my progression as an alcoholic... ;)

All i need to do before i can drink out of it is make my ounce marks on it...
Nice! Have not seen one of those Stein's since I was stationed in Germany 35 years ago! They used to drop some kind of German liquor in a shot glass down into the Stein glass full of Doppelbock and called it a Lighthouse..it was more like Lights out!! Lol

Nice! Have not seen one of those Stein's since I was stationed in Germany 35 years ago! They used to drop some kind of German liquor in a shot glass down into the Stein glass full of Doppelbock and called it a Lighthouse..it was more like Lights out!! Lol

Up here that's called a submarine.

Figured I could squeeze in an a propos brewday next weekend but realized I`m all out of yeast so decided to order a mixed assortment of dried yeasts based on what caught my eye at the online shop without thinking too much. Think I got sth like six to eight bags. Gonna brew sth simple just to test my new grain basket at first.

Today i made a 2.5L starter of Voss Kveik to build up my culture. Then desinged some simple labels(i think i need some new toner)Gonna bottle some beers next and prep for tomorrows brewday.
20181204_175456.jpeg

Today i made a 2.5L starter of Voss Kveik to build up my culture. Then desinged some simple labels(i think i need some new toner)Gonna bottle some beers next and prep for tomorrows brewday. View attachment 600850

Bottled some Voss last night. Split batch w Kolsch. First time using it and I’m sold. Virtually anyone, anywhere can use it with the same result. Really like the orange character I get in the finish. Would be great in an IPA I’m thinking.

Just finished brewing 5 gal of Resilience IPA in honor of our American friends in Cali. Hoping to find a brewery close by that is brewing this as well and support the cause.

Yesterday, i brewed a batch of porter, got 83% efficiency. Then went to homebrew club meeting, and passed around a few beverages. Got elected as the new secretary of the club. When i got home, the Voss Kveik was already getting to work, so i swapped the blowoff for the spunding valve.

That sounds amazing I love some Galaxy hops. I recently did a Cascade smash 90 minute double IPA.

I hope it turns out a little more complex than the Mosaic. The Mosaic was tasty but pretty one-dimensional. I think my next attempts will be DIPA strength, I like hop juice but if I am going to throw half a pound of hops in a beer I'd like to feel the buzz off of it as well.

I hope it turns out a little more complex than the Mosaic. The Mosaic was tasty but pretty one-dimensional. I think my next attempts will be DIPA strength, I like hop juice but if I am going to throw half a pound of hops in a beer I'd like to feel the buzz off of it as well.
Exactly LOL that's why I threw a pound and a half a honey and four blended oranges at flameout on mine and used 15 lbs of two row lol. Looking at 8.5%

436655c0999c029175.jpg

Bottled a batch of St.Peter`s ruby red ale, ended up yielding 68 bottles. Bit of a chore to do manually but it`ll all be forgotten once I get the first pour :D

As can be seen on the cardboard on the table, I need a new bottling wand, this one is crap. Only closes when it feels like it and it doesn`t feel like it too often. Seen some spring loaded ones on ebay for pocket money, gonna order one of those.

Not giving up on my braggot: got some fresh yeast, doing a proper starter before adding.

Transferred my first beer under pressure from my new corny fermenter to secondary.
Did a triple brew day with two of my mates.
Made a single-hopped IPA with an experimental NZ hop (#4337).
It was a good day!

Cut off a small branch from a 50yr old fig tree, cleaned it off, drilled holes in it and toasted it to flavour some brews with. I know oak is recommended but seriously the whole tree smells of ripe figs and it doesn't even have fruit on it yet. The wood smells equally fruity and once toasted the kitchen filled up with a scent a lot like toasted coconut. Could be good.

Fining my ESB now. Opened one bottle of Irish Red just to see whether it's properly carbonated already. After one week in bottles it's nearly there and tastes and looks great! Very happy with it, although I could have fermented at a bit higher temperature as the taste is very clean now. I'll give it another week and then I'll take some photos.

Brewing an APA right now for Christmas then I'm going to check the gravity on an oatmeal chocolate stout I brewed last weekend. Maybe all brew again tomorrow if a fermentor is free!

Back